|Fernandez, J / Many Levels Of Laughter|
|Album:||Many Levels Of Laughter||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Joyful Noise Records|
|Add Date:||2015-08-17||Pull Date:||2015-10-19|
|Week Ending:||25 Oct||18 Oct||27 Sep||20 Sep||13 Sep||30 Aug||23 Aug|
|1.||Sun, 03 Jan 16:||Mister Esquire|
Meow: The Best Of 2015
|4.||Sat, 17 Oct 15:||Victoria|
Mix Tape (Sub for Matt)
|2.||Thu, 22 Oct 15:||Telepathic Juan|
In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [FQ154x4]
|5.||Fri, 25 Sep 15:||Mister Esquire|
|3.||Sun, 18 Oct 15:||Mister Esquire|
|6.||Fri, 18 Sep 15:||Telepathic Juan|
Three Boxes Of Magnetized Toner
Mellow, intricate psychey bedroom pop. |
A finely crafted, dreamy debut album from this Chicago-based songwriter (first name Justin by the way) for fans of the more mellow and muted side of psych rock. Contemplative, open-ended lyrics, and a restrained singing style pair well over harmonies that seem to stay just beneath the surface even with a full band.
FCC CLEAN. Recommended: #3 is my favorite, then 1, 4, 6, 8, 9.
RIYL soft Of Montreal, Mac Demarco, Junip, Velvet Underground?
1. *(3:56) mid. opens with a bright, plucky little riff and great simple beat. “I have no need for competition… communication is a waste of time.” like a tuned down version of something off OM’s Sunlandic Twins.
2. (1:28) slow dreamy instrumental with “ahhs” and xylophone. would fit right in on a twee Wes Anderson soundtrack.
3. *(3:46) mid. I love this one. restrained somewhat pensive vocals, a constant strumming that can’t decide if it’s happy or sad, and an omnipresent eerie high note that makes the tune. mysterious, dreamy, gorgeous.
4. *(4:35) mid. lush and layered, kind of a more familiar/typical psych sound. mellow Tame Impala-y/Oh Sees. refrain of “please don’t listen to me” builds over escalating notes and keys.
5. (1:20) dreaaammy instrumental with horns and interesting drum fills. perfect lead right into…
6. *(3:10) slow-mid. jumps right in 3/4 time, playful, lilting, more horns. ending is cascading beautiful kaleidoscope goodness
7. (3:17) mid. laid-back, floating on clouds kinda feel despite a nice pace feat. maracas and tambourines. hopeful.
8. *(3:36) slow. rather ominous, unsettling opening keys, vocals come in and bass strumming softens things up by the bridge. becomes quite lovely.
9. *(6:34) slow. hypnotic outerspace lullaby: electro riff goes in rounds with echoey vox and gentle beat. “break your habits, try a different route.” last 2 min instrumental. say goodnight.
|1.||Between The Channels||5.||Filled With Joy|
|3.||Read My Mind||7.||Souveniers|