|Album:||Culture Of Volume||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||East India Youth||Added:||Sep 2015|
|Add Date:||2015-09-04||Pull Date:||2015-11-06||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||Nov 8||Nov 1||Oct 25||Oct 18||Oct 11||Oct 4||Sep 27||Sep 20|
|1.||Dec 16, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler
Hearts That Never
|4.||Sep 09, 2021:||Time Traveler (rebroadcast from Oct 2, 2015)
|2.||Nov 18, 2022:||The Great British Breakfast
|5.||Aug 14, 2021:||Music Casserole (rebroadcast from Sep 26, 2015)
|3.||Apr 15, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Aug 06, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler
Ultra-trusty UK tastemakers The Quietus liked Doyle’s music so much that they started a label to put out his debut, so at first I was disappointed in what I perceived to be an album of 95% throwback (with a few really cheesy synths included) and 5% gestures toward something really new and cutting edge for a pop record. Though there are definite uneven points here, turns out I was way too harsh on first glance: for something on XL Records, this thing truly is weird in the way it rewards extended attention through a kind of ascetic, mannered hypnosis. No FCCs detected. Favorites: 4, 5, 6, 7. The middle third is by far the best.
1. (4:39)—Instrumental. Cool, noisy granulated synth build. Fades into track 2.
2. (5:17)—Medium-slow, syncopated, chill, unhurried. Marimba pulses.
3. (3:53)—Mid-tempo, funky, bright, kind of saccharine in a way that reminds me of roller disco.
4. *(4:08)—Mid-tempo, poppy, somewhat jazzy. Minimal then dramatic.
5. *(6:48)—Mid-tempo, four-on-the-floor, stark, hyper. Fans of early dance music will really like this, arpeggiated synths and all. This is way cool.
6. *(4:22)—Instrumental, mid-tempo, four-on-the-floor again, but this time more industrial. Unexpected house track! Hell yeah.
7. *(6:22)—Slow, beatless, avant-diva epic. Synths sound like they’re imitating Basinski’s “Disintegration Loops 1.1.” So damn beautiful.
8. (4:58)—Medium-slow, skittering beat. Seasick piano.
9. (10:18)—Slow, glittering, plodding, spacious. Long, abrasive synth outro.
10. (4:34)—Instrumental. Big, sweeping synths.
|3.||Beaming White||8.||Don't Look Backwards|
|4.||Turn Away||9.||Manner Of Words|
|5.||Hearts That Never||10.||Montage Resolution|