LOCAL! An uplifting, rich, earnest masterpiece that lies somewhere at the intersection of folk, gospel, drone, and neoclassical music. But that's not even the half of it. Featuring more than a dozen local musicians, this album is the Bay Area version of Talk Talk's proto-post-rock/jazz/ambient masterpiece Spirit of Eden...with Auto-Tune. It also might be one of the best albums of 2015. No FCCs, but whatever you do, don't say the album title on air.
1. (8:36)—Gentle, ominous intro leads into lovely, idyllic, major-key folk -drone.
2. (5:14)—Instrumental. Stately, featuring upright bass and clarinet.
3. (2:48)—Minimal. Fingerpicked guitar, bowed strings, lyrics that quote Drake.
4. (4:40)—Almost gospel-drone. Piano, bowed strings, lots of layered vocals. Beautiful coda.
5. (9:10)—Rolling, continuous piano. Lots of layered, echoing gospel vocals. Long, music-box piano coda.
6. (5:17)—Instrumental. Grand, slow to build, with vibraphone and lots of string layers.
7. (5:10)—Somewhat sad, with flitting electronics and lots of wind instruments. Ebbs and flows, but never peaks.