|Destroyer / Poison Season|
|Add Date:||2016-03-27||Pull Date:||2016-05-29|
|Week Ending:||29 May||15 May||8 May||1 May||24 Apr||17 Apr||10 Apr||3 Apr|
|1.||Fri, 25 Aug 17:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
|4.||Thu, 26 May 16:||Shay Z|
All Passion No Technique
|2.||Fri, 22 Jul 16:||Francis D|
|5.||Fri, 13 May 16:||Francis D|
|3.||Wed, 01 Jun 16:||Jon Cousins|
Kick Out The Blues
|6.||Tue, 10 May 16:||Plobs|
The Offbeat Generation
Dan Bejar returns after 2011's excellent Kaputt with his newest LP, characterized by outsized adoration tempered with sumptuous melancholy. He incorporates more jazz and trip-hop influences and his voice sounds fantastic per usual. Lyrics tend towards skyward metaphors about love and allusions to Jesus Christ and can be a bit corny sometimes. |
RIYL Cass McCombs, Broken Social Scene, Kurt Vile, The Besnard Lakes
Favorites: 3, 5, 7, 12
1. (2:33) Times Square, Poison Season I—Strings and piano melody, sincere vocals. Intriguing lyrics about whether Jesus saves. The precursor to track 7.
2. (3:49) Dream Lover—FCC: "shit". Springsteen-style anthem about being passionately in love. Triumphant saxophone, horns, and fast percussion. Dreamy, hopelessly love-stricken lyrics. Instrumental breakdown in last minute.
3. (5:52) **Forces from Above—30-second ambient intro, then strings, tapping beat, and Dan Bejar's low, vulnerable vocals. Steadily builds in more instruments. Explodes into the groove at 2:00. Beautiful lyrical imagery. Alternates between quiet passages with congas and loud, triumphant passages. Exceptionally strong vocal delivery. One of my favorite songs of 2015.
4. (3:18) Hell—Dan wants you to know that on the inside, he's an ocean. Bright, cheerful strings contrasted with more somber sax. "Every time I try to look into your eyes, an angel flies by" wowowow so touching. Abrupt transition at 1:56 into added slide guitar, keyboards, and drums.
5. (3:36) *The River—Horn-laden lounge jazz + trip-hop. Beautiful slide guitar starts a minute in and continues throughout.
6. (3:05) Girl in a Sling—Slow, elegiac piano ballad. Smoky strings and sax solo at 0:52.
7. (4:11) **Times Square—Fast acoustic guitar, gliding keyboards, and gorgeous sax. Catchy. "The writing on the wall wasn't writing at all / Just forces of nature in love with a radio station" shoutout 2 us
8. (4:56) Archer on the Beach—More smoky lounge jazz, this time with whispered vocals.
9. (3:25) Midnight Meet the Rain—Piano and fast drumming. Weird/abrupt brief effected guitar solo at 0:55. Chaotic and frenetic.
10. (3:44) Solace's Bride—Delicate. Soft fingerpicked guitar plus piano and strings. Rich, full-bodied electric guitar comes in halfway.
11. (5:14) Bangkok—Melancholic remembrance on Bangkok. Maudlin sax and piano. Picks up markedly in the second half. A bit haphazard.
12. (5:34) **Sun in the Sky—Lush, more upbeat ballad featuring congas. Great variations with the sax here. Stunning.
13. (3:02) Times Square, Poison Season II—Softer, solely piano/vocals/strings version of track 7.
|1.||Time Square, Poison Season I||7.||Times Square|
|2.||Dream Lover||8.||Archer On The Beach|
|3.||Forces From Above||9.||Midnight Meet The Rain|
|6.||Girl In A Sling||12.||Sun In The Sky|
|13.||Time Square, Poison Season Il|