|Day, Andra / Cheers To The Fall|
|Add Date:||2015-11-15|| ||Pull Date:||2016-01-17|| |
|Week Ending:||17 Jan||10 Jan||27 Dec||20 Dec||13 Dec||6 Dec||22 Nov|
Debut record from soul singer Andra Day, born in Spokane, WA, based in San Diego, CA. This could be our solution to the hole left by the passing of Amy Winehouse. This girl’s voice is in the same category of effortless greatness. Blew me away. RIYL: Amy Winehouse, Adele…etc.|
Favorites: All of them, start with: 1, 4, **11**, 13
1. (3:19) Forever Mine - Baseline, piano and an incredible vocal, mid-tempo, soulful, incredible.
2. (3:25) Only Love - This is straight out of my imaginary next Amy Winehouse record, so good.
3. (3:45) Gold - Mid-tempo more of that same soulful voice, great harmonies, cool vocal effects.
4. (3:54) Not Today - Piano and vocals only, more of an r&b vocal style, very pretty. Full band builds in around a minute in. Vintage soul.
5. (3:35) Mistakes - Uptempo, strings, piano, organ, feels very 70s.
6. (4:27) Goodbye Goodnight - Down tempo ballad, more vintage soul.
7. (4:04) Rearview - Piano, chorus backing vocals, breakup song, super pretty.
8. (3:48) Red Flags - String section, almost disco-y, but still feels 60s at the same time. Not my favorite.
9. (3:18) Honey Or Fire - Upbeat and feisty.
10. (3:31) Gin & Juice (Let Go My Hand) - Downtempo bluesy, you can feel the slur.
11. (4:13) Rise Up - This song is absolutely stunning, CRAZY. Piano and vocals only, crazy vocal showcase, blown away.
12. (4:53) City Burns - Starts stripped down and builds in with a full band about a minute in. Another incredible track.
13. (3:47) Cheers To the Fall - Easy going, great phrasing, another great track.