|Grimes / Art Angels|
|Add Date:||2015-12-13||Pull Date:||2016-02-14|
|Week Ending:||Feb 14||Feb 7||Jan 31||Jan 24||Jan 17||Jan 10||Jan 3||Dec 27|
|1.||Jan 30, 2023:||Pest Control |
Kill V. Maim
|4.||Apr 03, 2019:||nearby galaxies |
|2.||Apr 24, 2022:||The Mystery Machine |
Easily, Flesh Without Blood
|5.||Jan 15, 2019:||Attitude Adjustment |
Venus Fly (Feat. Janelle Monáe)
|3.||Dec 04, 2021:||Music Casserole |
|6.||May 22, 2018:||Lucid Lightning: Power Hour |
Kill V. Maim
Claire Boucher puts forth a new, saccharine collection of songs that convey notions of dreams, regret, love, and lust. Solid pop album, both dreamy and anthemic from front to back.|
RIYL Purity Ring, Braids, FKA Twigs, Rhye, Still Corners
Favorites: 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10
1. (1:48) laughing and not being normal - Starts off with clamoring keys and urgent strings, gradually builds in grandness. Grimes’ ethereal voice comes in halfway.
2. (3:18) California - Solid feel-good pop song about that most-hallowed-in-song US state. Sounds like an especially sugary mix of Braids, Purity Ring, and the Bilinda Butchers.
3. (2:20) SCREAM (feat. Aristophanes) - Sounds like Yelle. Repetitive electric guitar line and distortion. Grimes at her most experimental yet.
**4. (4:25) Flesh Without Blood - Suuuuch a jam. Great pop song with cool synths and vocal variation. Chorus is ridiculously anthemic and memorable. Has some interesting instrumental variations and fade ins/outs.
*5. (3:26) Belly of the Beat - Softer. Gentle acoustic guitar and propulsive drumming. Angelic vocals about ideal love. The sonic lovechild of Tamaryn and Still Corners.
*6. (4:06) Kill V. Maim - Another jam. Driving chorus and drums. Softer, sweeter bridge that gradually builds in intensity until the song's breakdown and epic outro.
*7. (4:07) Artangels - Jam a la ‘80s pop song. Strong Blondie vibes. Recurring short, piercing guitar line. Features a lot of different vocal styles.
8. (3:03) Easily - Piano ballad, vocals are the focus. Gentle yet punchy drums come in a minute in. Works in a variety of dreamy, ethereal sounds and a subtle, propulsive bass line.
*9. (3:32) Pin - Fast, anthemic. Heavy on the synths and electric guitar. Drumming is incredibly driving starting around 2:00. Dreamy in a more aggressive way.
**10. (5:07) Realiti - Among the best jams and vocal deliveries on the album. Synths, breathy vocals. Possibly the best chorus on the album, due to a subtle keyboard pattern, ominous synths, and the way all the sounds keep layering in lushness.
11. (5:06) World Princess part II - Vocals are very Purity Ring. A lot of weird sonic transitions and dramatic changes that come off as haphazard.
12. (3:46) Venus Fly (feat. Janelle Monae) - Starts off sugary, then some extremely aggressive and confusingly-transitioned drumming persists starting a minute in. Kind of an assault on the ears.
13. (1:28) Life in the Vivid Dream - Elegiac ballad.
14. (4:13) Butterfly - Synthy. The part from 2:33 to 4:00 evokes dreams and some features of Realiti.
15. REALiTi (Demo) - Starts out with light drumming and clapping, then some light synths. Vocals don’t particularly stand out. Not an awesome jam like the studio version. Like an easy listening Slowdive.