|Girlpool / Before The World Was Big|
|Album:||Before The World Was Big||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2015-12-13||Pull Date:||2016-02-14|
|Week Ending:||14 Feb||7 Feb||31 Jan||24 Jan||17 Jan||3 Jan||27 Dec||20 Dec|
|1.||Wed, 26 Feb 20:||Palindrone|
|4.||Thu, 30 Aug 18:||amy cummings|
regular school / summer skool
|2.||Wed, 08 May 19:||mc squared|
|5.||Tue, 06 Feb 18:||DJ Arid|
|3.||Wed, 17 Apr 19:||mc squared|
|6.||Tue, 23 Jan 18:||DJ Arid|
Innocent, angsty, sweet girl group, grabbing minimalist raw naif instrumentation and sweet vocal harmonies to create a nostalgic, beautiful sound. (Better late than never: this was a summer release, but got unclaimed on the review shelf-- nearly a lost treasure!) No FCCs, and all tracks recommended. Some (track 4, "Chinatown") are beautiful and lush, and others are raw and angsty and unlush.|
1. (2:46) ****** Minimalistic guitar strum, lotsa silence, sweet simple harmony, bratty and so so simple, occasional dissonance, ending in noise-out. Just lovely.
2. (1:54) *** Hushed and sombre and bedroomy.
3. (2:21) ***** Super-plinky toy kid's piano, bratty near-harmony screeching, really angsty and sweet, evolves into a round.
4. (3:28) ********* Strummy, voices are sweet and blend together beautifully, slow and super heartbreaking, and human. Amazing, amazing song.
5. (3:35) ***** SLOW... tiptoeing guitar and precise singing, into a lusher but bittersweet build.
6. (0:36) *** Short, bratty chant.
7. (2:00) **** Bittersweet midtempo plodding guitar, with noisy electric textures.
8. (1:51) *** Slow; watery sonic textures, swaying and soft harmonizing. Pretty minimal.
9. (3:09) ***** Angular, uptempo and sad, building to full cry-yelping. "Emily, Emily". Nostalgic at full-tilt.
10. (2:31) **** Simple and gentle strumming, building to discontent and emotion.
|1.||Ideal World||6.||Magnifiying Glass|
|2.||Dear Nora||7.||Crowded Stranger|
|3.||Before The World Was Big||8.||Pretty|
|5.||Cherry Picking||10.||I Like That You Can See It|