|Album:||Dimming Awe, The Light Is Raw||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2016-01-25||Pull Date:||2016-03-27||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||Mar 27||Mar 20||Mar 13||Mar 6||Feb 28||Feb 21||Feb 14||Feb 7|
|1.||Jul 11, 2019:||deep storage
|4.||Mar 22, 2016:||it's not bass music
Raw Light Overture, Sungblood
|2.||Nov 02, 2016:||deep storage
|5.||Mar 19, 2016:||Music Casserole
|3.||Oct 12, 2016:||deep storage (deviance)
Raw Light Overture
|6.||Mar 16, 2016:||[press enter to exit]
Texas-based producer making music in the well-worn vein of downtempo, hip-hop inflected, electronica. BUT, for me, Botany is a cut above the rest. Lovely, intuitive melodies and inventive beats keep his albums from growing stale. It’s also exciting to see him move into somewhat different territory here, with well-integrated guest stars offering a new dimension. Highly recommended, and make sure to check out his debut album “Lava Diviner” as well.
Favorites: 2, 3, 6, 8, 11, 10, 12. FCC: 9
Others: Flying Lotus, Teebs, Hanz
1. (1:27) Sungblood - Lo-fi feel, chiming notes. Woozy pitch-bent goodness. Great lead-in to next track.
2. (3:06) *** Raw Light Overture - Big thumping beat. Brilliant vocal sample manipulation. Layered, transfixing. Dancing in an underwater garden.
3. (2:32) ** Au Revoir ft. Milo - Laughing sample. Groovy, downtempo beat à la Brainfeeder. Some interesting delay on the vocals. The production + the rapping reminds me a little of Earl Sweatshirt’s most recent album.
4. (2:41) Birthjays - Opens with what sounds almost like a clip from some 50’s tv show. Aimless synth exploration.
5. (2:41) Glow Up ft. Matthewdavid - Folktronica feel like Bibio with some nice twee vocals from Matthewdavid. Like walking in a park with your best friend.
6. (2:22) ** Jotu - Harder edged, excellent clattering percussion. Shamanistic electronica. Great repeating synth riff.
7. (1:25) All is Rite - Pretty dull ambient track…a little disappointing.
8. (6:13) ** Bad CGI - Soulful vocal sample. Pulsing, almost techno groove. A cool new look for Botany. Danceable and emotive. Really comes into its own in the middle section. We leave the underwater garden village and head into a sunlit clearing. Mystical, beatless outro.
9. (3:12) No Translator ft. Milo - FCC “f*ck”. Twinkling keys. More stream-of-conscious wordplay from Milo.
10. (3:46) ** You might Be an Eye - Dream-pop electronica…gooey and spacious. Simple thumping rhythm.
11. (4:05) ** A-Word/Dim - Toys with a sample from a vintage record. Lo-fi and exquisite. Reminiscent of the Caretaker but in a much lighter, airier mood. Fascinating listen.
12. (6:30) ** Monthiversary ft. RYAT - Gurgling backdrop. Ambient feel topped off with heavenly fem. vocals. Gorgeous, Julianna Barwick-esque track.
|1.||Sungblood||7.||All Is Rite|
|2.||Raw Light Overture||8.||Bad Cgi|
|3.||Au Revoir Ft. Milo||9.||No Translator Ft. Milo|
|4.||Birthjays||10.||You Might Be An Eye|
|5.||Glow Up Ft. Matthewdavid||11.||A-Word/Dim|
|6.||Jotu||12.||Monthiversary Ft. Ryat|