|Add Date:||2016-02-02||Pull Date:||2016-04-02|
|Week Ending:||Apr 3||Mar 27||Mar 20||Mar 13||Mar 6||Feb 28||Feb 21||Feb 14|
|1.||Nov 17, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
Like Alastair Sim
|4.||Feb 12, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler
|2.||Aug 04, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|5.||May 08, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
|3.||Aug 06, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler
Like Alastair Sim
|6.||Jul 26, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler
Lorna is a six-piece band based in Nottingham, England and led by husband and wife singer/songwriters Mark Rolfe and Sharon Cohen-Rolfe. The band performs precise, melodic, slow-core indie-pop and folk that even while making liberal use of strings and other orchestral elements sometimes borders on lo-fi. “London’s Leaving Me” is Lorna’s fifth album, and it’s full of lovely, personal ballads and jangly indie pop with sharp, thoughtful lyrics and lush harmonies. RIYL: Belle & Sebastian or Camera Obscura. A lot of really beautiful songs in this nine-track collection.
Recommended: 1, 2, 6, 5, 9 No FCCs detected.
1. (5:08) Like Alastair Sim – Sustained soundscape. Chiming guitar. Fragile, crystalline harmonies. Orchestral elements and drums layered in over time. References the late Scottish actor Alastair Sim. ****
2. (4:05) Wayne Mills – Mid-tempo, catchy indie pop. Great bass line. Jangly guitars. Strings. Synth flourishes. Clarinet and trumpet in lead break. Wayne Mills is apparently a neighbor in Nottingham. ****
3. (3:18) Atlases – Slower and more pensive. Guitar in a lower register. Gentle tapping of the drum complements the soft harmonies.
4. (3:15) In Amber – Ringing guitar interlaced with strings, woodwinds and the Rolfe’s delicately harmonized vocals.
5. (4:13) Smothered in Hugs – Cover of Guided By Voices song. Lo-fi vocals with the Rolfe’s trading off the lead at times. Acoustic guitar accompaniment. ***
6. (4:44) London’s Leaving Me — Mid-tempo indie pop-rock. Nice snare beat. Layers include ringing guitars, dynamic bass line, strings, and vocals. Catchy melody. ****
7. (4:26) Bigger Than Sound (And Greater Than Us) – Great interplay between swelling strings, ringing guitars and drums. Builds to big ending with some brass support.
8. (4:33) St. Mary – Almost hymn-like, reverential. Halting rhythm, chiming guitar, and breathy lo-fi vocals. Very slow tempo.
9. (4:04) You, Me, and the Holy Ghost – Slow and stately. Elegant closer with beautiful, rolling waves of sound and exquisite harmonies. Long, subtle, almost droning trail-out. ***
|1.||Like Alastair Sim||5.||Smothered In Hugs|
|2.||Wayne Mills||6.||London's Leaving Me|
|3.||Atlases||7.||Bigger Than Sound (And Greater Than Us)|
|4.||In Amber||8.||St. Mary|
|9.||You, Me, And The Holy Ghost|