|Sey, Seinabo / Pretend|
|Label:||Virgin Records Ltd|
|Add Date:||2016-03-06||Pull Date:||2016-05-08|
|Week Ending:||8 May||24 Apr||17 Apr||10 Apr||3 Apr||27 Mar||20 Mar||13 Mar|
|1.||May 04, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants! |
|4.||Apr 20, 2016:||Kick Out The Blues |
|2.||May 04, 2016:||Kick Out The Blues |
|5.||Apr 13, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
|3.||Apr 20, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants! |
|6.||Apr 13, 2016:||Home on the Range |
Swedish 25 year old, Seinabo Sey, daughter of West African musician Maudo Sey. This is her first full length release and it is really really great. The single Younger has made it big, especially in the electro-pop world, but this record is great cover to cover. Soulful vocals and heavy beats. Her influences are clear: Lauryn Hill, Beyonce, Alicia Keys…etc. Great record. |
Favorites: 1 (15 is the remix I love),**3**, **4**, **5**, **9**, 11
FCCs: Track 8 (Shit),
1. (3:34) Younger – This song has gotten pretty popular, but it is undeniably great. Starts with totally stripped down, vocals and percussion only, and that voice is fucking incredible. Snare and strings and piano build in, great track. The remixes (at the end) are even cooler.
2. (3:29) Pretend – Heavy beat, soulful beyond believer, hand claps, crazy awesome harmonies, catchy as hell.
3. (2:59) Poetic –This one is my favorite, the phrasing is so cool, the instrumentation is simple but perfect, and I could really listen to this on repeat and not get bored.
4. (3:29) Hard Time – This track is so heavy and so awesome, that beat is crazy, her voice demands attention, everything about this track is awesome.
5. (2:48) Easy - Vocals only at the beginning, because who needs instruments when you have a voice like that, vocal harmonies build in with another foot stomping, heavy beat, this is basically a gospel track, and it is incredible.
6. (3:29) Words – Strings and bongos…oh and more of that amazing voice.
7. (3:32) Sorry – This one sounds a bit Amy Winehouse-ish…super low tempo, strings and piano, and more beautiful vocals.
8. FCC SHIT (3:19) Who – Not particularly exciting, but you cant play it anyway.
9. (2:53) Still – This one is hauntingly beautiful. Guitar and vocals to start, builds in around a minute in with more gorgeous choral harmonies. Simple, beautiful.
10. (3:42) You – Cool vocal effects, heart beat sounding drum machine, mellow, cool.
11. (3:33) Ruin – Another Amy Winehouse sounding track, theatrical, straight forward but super great melody.
12. (4:12) Burial – Piano, vocals, and chorus.
13. (3:39) Pistols At Dawn (Bonus Track) - Not my favorite…
14. (3:45) River (Bonus Track) – A little more electronic and theatrical.
15. (5:51) Younger (Kygo Remix / Bonus Track) – Killer remix of the first track.
16. (4:12) Younger (Acoustic Version / Bonus Track) – Acoustic version of the first one, pretty amazing.
|5.||Easy||13.||Pistols At Dawn|
|7.||Sorry||15.||Younger (Kygo Remix)|