|Savages / Adore Life|
|Add Date:||2016-04-03||Pull Date:||2016-06-05|
|Week Ending:||5 Jun||29 May||22 May||15 May||8 May||1 May||24 Apr||17 Apr|
|1.||Jun 24, 2016:||a strange pursuit |
|4.||Jun 10, 2016:||a strange pursuit |
|2.||Jun 23, 2016:||a strange pursuit |
|5.||Jun 04, 2016:||a strange pursuit |
|3.||Jun 11, 2016:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|6.||Jun 04, 2016:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
I Need Something New
For their second album, Adore Life, London’s Savages are still heavily influenced by late 1970’s underground rock movements. They tame the urgency of previous sonic attacks to deliver a set of recordings mostly built around slow tempos, controlled distortions, and calculated guitar interventions to let the vocals and lyrical content take front stage. The storytelling element of the new songs brings to mind the approach used by Patti Smith in her early recordings. There’s also the undeniable influence of PJ Harvey all over the place.|
RIYL: Patti Smith, Siouxsie and the Banshees, PJ Harvey, Bikini Kill, and Skeletal Family.
FCC WARNING: 6
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 6 (FCC), 7 and 9
1. (3:30) *The Answer – Dramatic intro with an upbeat tribal beat. Vocal work channeling Patti Smith’s aura all over. Fearless.
2. (3:36) **Evil – Soaked in 1979’s post punk tenebrism. This upbear rocker wreaks urgency. Aggressive.
3. (3:48) **Sad Person – Upbeat rocker with great energy. Punk!
4. (5:03) Adore – Slow and introverted exercise in the vein of 1970’s rock with loud rhythms and distortion towards the end.
5. (4:01) Slowing Down The World – Distortion as intro. Mid tempo beat. Part psychedelic, part lounge. Atmospheric. Nick Cave would be proud.
6. (4:39) **I Need Something New – FCC (Fucking). Vocal driven tune with tribal energy and great resonant lyrics. One of my favorites on the album.
7. (3:11) *When In Love – Uncommitted guitar intro. Then gets loud and upbeat. Late 1970’s Brithish post punk territory. Catchy.
8. (3:24) Surrender – Medium tempo beat with continuous exciting guitar pedal effects. Song gets loud halfway through the track. Siousxie would be proud.
9. (3:09) **T.I.W.Y.G. – Loud and confrontational. Sick guitars on this one. Energetic and a lot of fuzz everywhere.
10. (5:09) Mechanics – Part ambient, part ballad. Sparse. Dramatic vocals.
|1.||The Answer||6.||I Need Something New|
|2.||Evil||7.||When In Love|
|5.||Slowing Down The World||10.||Mechanics|