|Various Artists / American Eagle Outfitters Compilation|
|Album:||American Eagle Outfitters Compilation||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2016-03-06||Pull Date:||2016-05-08|
|Week Ending:||8 May||3 Apr||20 Mar|
|1.||Wed, 04 May 16:||Your Imaginary Friend|
|3.||Wed, 16 Mar 16:||Your Imaginary Friend|
|2.||Tue, 29 Mar 16:||Planned Obsolescence|
The Offbeat Generation
|4.||Mon, 14 Mar 16:||Shineymic|
Everything A to Z week 34
In 2010 American Eagle Outfitters approached KZSU (among other stations) to ask for a compilation of DJ-selected songs that American Eagle could then play in its stores. The request sparked a debate at the station: was it a promising chance to help give underheard artists wider exposure, was it a compromise of KZSU's values in favor of an opportunistic corporation, or was it somewhere in between? Meanwhile, some KZSU DJs made an album of their own for American Eagle. It's noise, all kinds of noise: harsh buzzsaw noise, out-of-tune synths, field recording noise, atonal Jandek-type noise, noise, noise, noise. Since then American Eagle has “moved away from music as a marketing tool” (Wikipedia), but this locally sourced product remains. Whether enjoying brunch in world #innovation capital Stan Francisco or having an epiphany at a transformational festival like Burning Man, this is the perfect lifestyle harsh noise for the audacious, sophisticated, adventurous shopper. No words, but FCC WARNING for the band/track titles on 1, 3, 7.|
1. (1:26)—Mid-tempo beat. Spastic, romping, rainbow noise and synths.
2. (1:55)—Detuned horns, swirling white noise, unintelligibly warped vocals.
3. (0:32)—Buzzing synths, atonal electric guitar.
4. (1:08)—Atonal acoustic guitar, out-of-time percussion.
5. (1:48)—Electronic-ish, with a loping beat. Vaguely post-punk????
6. (1:33)—Kinda pretty keyboard and harmonica.
7. (2:04)—Steady rock beat with harsh noise. Bizarrely shoegazey.
8. (1:04)—Harsh noise wall.
9. (1:26)—Rolling drums, washes of church organ noise.
10. (23:56)—DJ Records BART Sounds with a Handheld Microphone; You'll Never Guess What Happens Next.