|Willamette / Diminished Composition|
|Label:||Scissor Tail Records|
|Add Date:||2016-03-06||Pull Date:||2016-05-08||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||May 1||Apr 17||Apr 10||Apr 3||Mar 20||Mar 13|
|1.||Aug 13, 2022:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|4.||Apr 13, 2016:||does radio suck? |
|2.||Apr 30, 2016:||Narnia |
At Length And Dead Horse
|5.||Apr 12, 2016:||does radio suck? |
Brief Moments In Longterm Doubt
|3.||Apr 16, 2016:||does radio suck? |
|6.||Apr 09, 2016:||Narnia |
Fresnal Variation (For Jeanne Moreau), Codeine Catnap
Third album by the Washington trio of Joseph Yonker and brothers Davin and Kevin Chong. Way back when, Davin and Kevin made glitchy, minimalist drone under the name Northern and released music on the Ohio experimental label Infraction Records; now Willamette make graceful post-classical ambient drone. These are blissful miniatures, bite-size and subtle movements of dreamy melancholy. RIYL Stars of the Lid, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Eluvium, Celer, William Basinski, The Caretaker. (Also, it's released on the absolutely amazing Tulsa label Scissor Tail.) It's all great, but personal favorites are 1, 2, 6, 8. No words, no FCCs.|
1. *(3:40)—Stunning glacial drone, like recent Stars of the Lid in miniature.
2. *(4:52)—Decayed vocal loop and warm drone. Immensely sad and beautiful.
3. (2:34)—Soft, horn-like loop with soft, angelic, vocal-like drones.
4. (4:23)—Grand, wistful major key wash, calms in the second half and adds soft piano.
5. (2:25)—Windswept, with an almost hymn-like melody. Very Kyle Bobby Dunn-esque.
6. *(3:06)—Soft piano, field recordings, plucked strings. Verdant, luxurious.
7. (4:05)—Synthier, like Steve Hauschildt at his most restful. Warm drones reminiscent of former labelmate Adam Pacione.
8. *(2:36)—Dark, subaquatic, brooding.
9. (4:23)—Placid piano, soft scraping noise. A calm, bright drone and strings peek through. At points, sounds like an orchestra at the bottom of the ocean.
|1.||Inland Empire||5.||Four Films (Films Four)|
|2.||At Length And Dead Horse||6.||End Of Good Discipline|
|3.||Brief Moments In Longterm Doubt||7.||Codeine Catnap|
|4.||Lament Young||8.||Fresnal Variation (For Jeanne Moreau)|