|Soapkills / Best Of Soapkills, The|
|Album:||Best Of Soapkills, The||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2016-03-27||Pull Date:||2016-05-29||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||15 May||1 May||17 Apr||10 Apr|
|1.||May 14, 2016:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
Marra Fi Ghnina
|4.||Apr 29, 2016:||Music Casserole |
|2.||May 10, 2016:||The Offbeat Generation |
|5.||Apr 11, 2016:||Everything A to Z week 38 |
Cheftak (Paris Version), Cheftak (Paris Version)
|3.||Apr 30, 2016:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
|6.||Apr 09, 2016:||Music Casserole |
Marra Fi Ghnina, Tango
The Best of Soapkills
Reviewed by BravoMarco
11 years after the groups demise, this is a timely compilation from the Beirut band. A new audience can now be mesmerized by Yasmine Hamdan’s sultry voice. Trip hop / dubby chilled out electro beats, all combined with that underlining influence from the classical Arabic world. Most of these tracks seem as though they have featured in various films - during that seedy bar scene.
Like: Massive Attack & Portishead – Also sort of Sade mixed with Rachid Taha
Something for everyone – Liking 3,5,8,9,10,12,13,14
No FCC’s in English (Arabic)
1) Leh Zaalen (4.02) Mellow enough, with a lot going on though. Steady beat keeps the head nodding.
2) Yahoo! (4.37) Dramatic swirls with a heavy throb at times.
3) Cheftak (Paris Version) (3.03) So easy on the ears.
4) Tango (3.52) Shades of Fairuz & The Rahbani Brothers in the first minute - until the beat kicks in.
5) Marco Slow (1.50) Bassy thumping instrumental with effects.
6) Aranis & Koullou Ndif (3.21) Slow acoustic ballad to start. Midway point it becomes a rapping pop song.
7) Herzan (3.22) Ska-ish beat, jolly, mid paced.
8) Galbi (4.14) The beat is kept in check, which works wonders with the singing.
9) Enta Fen (5.16) Smooth & mellow. Vocals coming to the fore. More traditional.
10) Wadih (3.36) Strings given the treatment, folky & delicate.
11) Manni 2elak (4.09) Vocals treated alongside other general distortion.
12) Soueyma (5.21) More pace than the others. Wobbly & breezy.
13) Kasdoura (4.52) Lovely soft atmospheric quality.
14) Marra Fi Ghnina (4.43) Seductive tones to finish.
|3.||Cheftak (Paris Version)||10.||Wadih|
|6.||Aranis & Koullou Ndif||13.||Kasdoura|
|7.||Herzan||14.||Marra Fi Ghnina|