Brief Spirit is the debut album by Nashville, Tennessee’s dream pop duo, Keeps. Elegant guitar pop with nice vocals and creative melodic structures heavily influenced by early 1980s post-punk a la Echo and The Bunnymen and American late 1970s yacht rock. It works out smoothly.
Something else from the press release:
"Of the many alluring clichés in music criticism, comparing shoegaze music to water is one of the hardest to resist. That said, Nashville psychedelic pop act Keeps evoke nothing so much as a lazy river, with yearning vocals floating along atop a gentle but insistent tide of echoing guitar textures and rhythms."
Walt Lewellyn (Weld: Birmingham's Newspaper).
RIYL: Craft Spells, Echo And The Bunnymen, Brass Bed, The Go-Betweens and Beach Fossils.
1. (3:50) ****I Don't Mind – Slow/medium-up tempo. Exquisite guitar-driven dream pop tune crafted as an early 1980s yacht rock anthem. Perfect summer recording.
2. (4:10) ***Translucent Girl – Medium tempo track that brings to mind late 1980s XTC and The Mighty Lemon Drops. Catchy as hell.
3. (4:26) *Idle Desire – Medium-up dream popper a la Echo & The Bunnymen. Seriously.
4. (3:30) **Everyday – Medium tempo guitar pop a la The Ocean Blue. Memorable.
5. (1:16) Cycles – Interlude ballad. More like a memory.
6. (4:46) **Let It Fall (Keeping Time) – Medium tempo piece that could pass as a lost The Ocean Blue track from the early 1990s.
7. (5:44) Silent Eyes – Medium-up tempo. Another track written with Echo & The Bunnymen in mind. Very 1987.
8. (4:47) **Aims – Medium tempo. Solid guitar driven track. Melancholic and memorable. Brings to mind Hoops.
9. (4:19) ***Breath – Upbeat dream popper. Killer guitar riff.
10. (7:05) I've Been Scared – Slow/medium tempo. Slow build-up. Modern rock sounds. Long track. Guitar dream pop extravaganza towards end of song.
11. (4:10) Eternal Flow – Slow tempo. Works as epilogue for previous song.