|My Robot Friend / Open The Book|
|Album:||Open The Book||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||My Robot Friend||Added:||04/2016|
|Label:||Worried Rainbow Records|
|Add Date:||2016-05-23||Pull Date:||2016-07-24|
|Week Ending:||24 Jul||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun|
|1.||Jul 29, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Jul 16, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler (rebroadcast from Jul 17, 2020) |
Open The Book (Feat Andre Williams)
|2.||Mar 04, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
For You (Feat. Andre Williams)
|5.||May 07, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||Sep 10, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Feb 05, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
At first I thought the genre of this album was similar to other issues from My Robot Friend, meaning electropop/rock. But as I got further and further into the record, I became more confused. This CD is manic! There are some noteworthy electro tracks, but there are some strange acoustic pop tracks thrown in too. It’s a shame, because the electronic tracks are so much more unique than the forays into more poppish territory. Still, creative lyrics and the more synth-based songs make this CD worth a listen or two.|
RIYL Hot Chip, Fischerspooner
Recommended tracks: 3, 5, 7, 10
1. (4:22) A fast drumbeat and plucky guitar complement airy vocals lamenting a lost relationship.
2. (4:15) Strings with a moving beat and harmonic vocals.
3. (2:12) Short, dancey, synthy ode to 4-on-the-floor beats.
4. (2:36) Dime-a-dozen, poppy song about cheating. Could be in the top 40.
5. (2:33) Interesting lyrics with a catchy beat featuring a typewriter. I love literary puns!
6. (3:01) Country twang that makes me chuckle because the lyric “nickels” sounds like “pickles.”
7. (3:20) ’80s-style synth with pleasant male vocals singing about heartbreak.
8. (3:32) High-pitched vocals over a cute, twinkly beat.
9. (4:27) Acoustic guitar and harmonic girlish pop. What is this doing here? It’s like Bruno Mars somehow inserted himself into this record.
10. (5:16) An especially Hot Chip-sounding track with quiet vocals and a foot-tapping beat that builds into a vibrant synth.
11. (3:01) Dreampop wannabe track with twinkly triangles.