This four-man British outfit is back again with another rock-soul record. Tracks feature keys, drums, horns, and funky and bluesy flourishes and vocals. The songs are all fun and energetic, but I struggle to differentiate among them. Play for some catchy riffs, but don’t expect much from the lyrics.
RIYL Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Gnarls Barkley, the Stooges (just listen to the guy’s voice)
FCC on tracks 4, 7
Recommended tracks: 1, 2, 3, 9
1. (3:11) Big-band style rock out with a strong start.
2. (3:16) Funky, twangy guitar. Makes me want to get up and dance.
3. (3:53) A unique melody with a great horn line. My fave track.
4. (3:17) FCC!: “fuck.” Female backup vocals with funky punctuated horns.
5. (3:57) Slower jam featuring sensual horns and strings. Builds to a nice chorus.
6. (4:37) Vibes of the monster mash in a song about a zombies in California.
7. (3:28) FCC!: “fuck.” Another upbeat horn-centric jam with backup vocals.
8. (3:24) Bluesier jam with horns and horror movie screams.
9. (4:39) Upbeat and catchy with religious overtones.
10. (3:57) Horns and female back-up vocals at it again, in minor key.
11. (3:01) Electric guitars give this one a bit more of a rock feel. Ends with a strange, modulated scream-out.
12. (3:37) A slow, melancholy jam to close it on out.