|Boxhead Ensemble / La Hora Magica|
|Album:||La Hora Magica||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2016-05-29||Pull Date:||2016-07-31||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||31 Jul||12 Jun||5 Jun|
|1.||Jun 10, 2021:||Rebroadcast: Stranded at Settembrini's |
|4.||Jun 10, 2016:||a strange pursuit |
|2.||Nov 05, 2020:||Stranded at Settembrini's |
|5.||Jun 04, 2016:||Ghost Trees |
|3.||Jul 27, 2016:||Brownian Motion |
|6.||Jun 01, 2016:||Brownian Motion |
Languid, loosely played, minimal, nearly ambient soundtrack music for a nonexistent revisionist Western. This is like Talk Talk if they'd moved to Arizona after making Laughing Stock. Led by Michael Krassner since its formation in the early 90s, Boxhead Ensemble have had a revolving group of players that reads like a who's who of alt-country, early post-rock, and experimental jazz, overlapping in personnel with Wilco, Califone, Will Oldham (Bonnie “Prince” Billy), Pinetop Seven, Edith Frost, Squirrel Bait, Gastr Del Sol, Eleventh Dream Day, The For Carnation, Uncle Tupelo, Xylouris White, Dirty Three, Souled American, &c&c&c. This tape features Krassner with Wil Hendricks, Laraine Kaizer, and Adam Busch. At times calmly psychedelic and at others deeply melancholy, it's unassumingly beautiful throughout. Favorites: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12. No words, no FCCs.|
1. (1:32)—Soft, looped, desolate guitar.
2. *(6:52)—Peaceful, trippy guitar. Slow, minimal bass. Soft bells.
3. *(2:55)—Rippling electronics, high lonesome guitar.
4. *(2:07)—Limpid, pastoral drone.
5. *(7:11)—Twinkling melody, clopping hooves, free-flowing guitar.
6. (2:49)—Sad, keening violin. Like an excerpt from a GY!BE piece.
7. *(2:55)—Warm, psychedelic guitar loops.
8. (1:32)—Melancholy, droning guitar.
9. (2:44)—Windswept, granular, dissonant, harmonica-like drones.
10. (2:21)—More rippling electronics. Nocturnal, slightly glitchy.
11. (4:09)—Tense drones, frantically bowed violin.
12. *(4:54)—Slow guitar strumming, gleaming tones.
13. (2:24)—Dark, barren drone.
14. (8:37)—Major key drone, begins to build and then gradually disintegrates.
|1.||The Conquerors||8.||Middle Fork|
|3.||El Chico||10.||You And Me|
|4.||Long Shadow||11.||Golden Mitre|