|Sonny & The Sunsets / Moods Baby Moods|
|Album:||Moods Baby Moods||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Sonny & The Sunsets||Added:||05/2016|
|Label:||Polyvinyl Record Co.|
|Add Date:||2016-05-29||Pull Date:||2016-07-31|
|Week Ending:||31 Jul||17 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun|
|1.||Dec 27, 2016:||Magnetized Toner: Best Of 2016 Part 1 |
|4.||Jul 30, 2016:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|2.||Aug 02, 2016:||Magnetized Toner: Summer Mix 2 (All Formats) |
Well But Strangely Hung Man
|5.||Jul 26, 2016:||Magnetized Toner: Summer Mix 1 (All Formats) |
Dead Meat On The Beach
|3.||Jul 30, 2016:||Goggles Optional |
|6.||Jul 11, 2016:||EVerything A to Z week 49 |
White Cops On Trial
Folk-rock-weirdos Sonny & The Sunsets team up with producer Merrill Garbus (tUnEyArDs) and it's a weird and wonderful soundscape-- drum machines and dinky synths and bright Sonic-the-hedgehog colors, confetti in midi form, an '80s funk dance party for all your favorite animated clip art. Backup vocals by Hannah Lew (Grass Widow/Cold Beat); it's pure dense weirdness and fun. FCCs on 2 and 12. |
1. (2:22) ****** Sequel/remake of original Death Cream song, from a dozen albums ago. But more drum machines. Leisurely story + oppressive head-rocking cataclysm chorus. Last 50 seconds, becomes more of a cowboy song + pained monologue... surprising sudden ending
2. (3:34) ****** Plasticky squeaky funk, relaxed groove + balloon animal trumpets. "Moods Baby Moods" chorus, all so relaxed.
3. (5:18) [FCC: "fuck" + "shit", but only in skit, in last forty-five seconds] **** Collapsing drum machine, ethereal internet waves, slow build over weird proggy instruments "MODERN AGE, MODERN AGE"... blissy and swaying, repeating, eventually breaking down. Last :45 seconds is a skit, (with FCCs!)
4. (4:17) ***** Discoey, cyborgey, full of glassy and shimmery surfaces. Midtempo groove. Minor and cool and rambling.
5. (3:08) ****** Bass-heavy, driving, cool kraut groove, kinda Velvety, disaffected fem vox backup, buzzes and clapping, builds back to bright dense fun close
6. (2:39) ***** Post-punky Liliputty "REJECTS" dissonant chorus, funky uptempo
7. (2:52) ****** Bright sparkly, weird funky sounds-- it's about white cops on trial, being let off by insane juries. Absurdly elbowing drum-machines everywhere. Madness. And weirdly happy. Ends with freak-out, and then a short Muzak ballroom explosion.
8. (4:10) ***** Slow, sneery, simmering. Shaky maracas, a build... a build... chorus more relaxed, "see you later..." Ends in bliss
9. (2:35) **** Warpy oscillators, "you gave me..." singalong, folky and slow.
10. (2:47) Sunshiney, slow, stompy drums and blissy sounds. "Love...love... a little love" Simple and sweet
11. (3:28) **** Mild nightmare, dense and scary. Midtempo, clouds of worry
12. (4:16) [FCC: "love and shit"] ****** Beepy and desperately cool, midtempo new wave, at a moment of epiphany and truth, colorful and bright and neon and love everywhere