|Lanza, Jessy / Oh No|
|Add Date:||2016-06-06||Pull Date:||2016-08-08||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||31 Jul||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun|
|1.||Jan 23, 2022:||Windowlicker |
|4.||Apr 27, 2019:||Alien Hour |
|2.||Feb 13, 2020:||Alien Hour |
|5.||Sep 30, 2017:||Music Casserole |
Could Be U
|3.||May 04, 2019:||Alien Hour |
|6.||Apr 18, 2017:||All Passion No Technique |
It Means I Love You
Jessy Lanza is a Canadian producer signed to Hyperdub, and on her second album she blesses us with a gorgeously deadly pop masterpiece, full of pent-up nervous energy tempered by minimalist pulses and resolute declarations of hurt. A stunningly cosmic blend of acid house, disco, R&B, and pitch-shifted, tensely restrained pop. Perfect for silent discoing… or late nights floating through the galaxy. |
RIYL Caribou, SOPHIE, Daniel Avery, FKA Twigs
Favorites: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10
1. (2:23) New Ogi—Bubbling, brimming synths and powerfully wounded vocals.
2. (3:57) **** VV Violence—Oh my, this is fantastic. All of the above enumerated genres in one, unfolding lushly and tensely in a rolling house banger. Play play play.
3. (4:24) * Never Enough—Punchy teal blue synths, silky, fairly minimalist.
4. (4:07) * I Talk BB—Whispered, supplicating, ethereal vocals. Thudding central percussion and whirring ambience. Some keyboards. Jessy's vocal range is especially evident in this track and reminds me a lot of Sia.
5. (4:38) ** Going Somewhere—Droning, aerial buzzing sounds and vocals in a higher register. Very FKA Twigs. Descends into new aquatic planes in the last two minutes with primarily floating synthesizer and weightless vocals.
6. (4:41) ** It Means I Love You—Minimal house anchored by a constant synth groove. Samples a tabla beat and swathes it in shadowy, haunting synthesizer.
7. (4:04) Vivica—Succulently restrained, decaying pop.
8. (4:41) *** Oh No—Uptempo with some Latin house influence. Soaring synths and yearning vocals. High-tension, transportive house in the last 1.5 minutes. Whoaaaaaaa.
9. (4:07) Begins—Sultry, Miss Jackson-style slow jam. Steadily building background pulse comes more into its own in the last 50 seconds.
10. (3:43) *** Could Be U—Immersive, gently propulsive dreamscapes.
|1.||New Ogi||6.||It Means I Love You|
|3.||Never Enough||8.||Oh No|
|4.||I Talk Bb||9.||Begins|
|5.||Going Somewhere||10.||Could Be U|