|Add Date:||2016-06-27|| ||Pull Date:||2016-08-28|| ||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||21 Aug||14 Aug||31 Jul||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul|
Kaytranada is a Montreal producer who has been in the game for quite a while, often producing from the shadows. Recently he produced “All Night” on Chance the Rapper’s Coloring Book. He does a really good job of catering to the artist he’s working with, although a lot of them do kinda follow the same formula. The instrumentals on this album are pretty solid as well. There’s something for everyone. |
FCCs: 4, 5, 7, 9
Favs: 3, 6, 8, 13
RIYL: A smoother Flume, A poppier SBTRKT
1. TRACK UNO (5:44) - Instrumental. Starts off with some crackling, then some nice synths and the beat keeps on evolving, adding a bass line, drums, etc. Really Smooth.
2. BUS RIDE (2:13)- Instrumental. Drum Driven, with some nice ambient vibes in the background. Smooth, and chiller than the last song. Some high keys also come in.
3. GOT IT GOOD (3:48)- R&B Smooth slow jam. Craig David’s voice is so nice, w/ a vocal sample in the background. Solid af.
4. TOGETHER (3:17)- FCC: Bitches. Driving Synth Pop w/a rap verse. Vocals kinda sound a bit muddy and lost in the mix, but has a good beat.
5. DRIVE ME CRAZY (4:37)- FCC: Fuck, Piss. Rap track. Probably my favorite Vic Mensa track. Nice beat for the verses, and some good lyrics over it. Hook is super smooth, and Vic comes through with his singing. Even some guitar shreddage at the end.
6. WEIGHT OFF (2:35)- Instrumental. Nice Bassline drives the track, with some synths coming in later. Kinda Jazzy. Really what you would expect from a BBNG+KAYTRANADA track. Nice modulating synth break in the middle. Overall really great track.
7. ONE TOO MANY (3:38)- FCC: Shit. R&B. Not as smooth as the Craig David track. But Phonte definitely comes through vocally, and even brings a rap verse at the end. Pretty upbeat dancy track.
8. DESPITE THE WEATHER (2:01) - Instrumental. Brings in various elements. Super jazzy. Has an organ. I love it. 15 second skit at the end.
9. GLOWED UP (4:58)- FCC: goddamn, shit, fuck, etc. Favorite track alert. If you haven’t listened to Anderson .Paak yet, you’re messing up. A shame this is so dirty. Smooth R&B track with typical .Paak rapsing verses and a nice beat switch halfway through.
10. BREAKDANCE LESSON NO. 1 (4:28)- Instrumental. Upbeat. Dancy. Nice bassline, nice guitar and synth work.
11. YOU’RE THE ONE (3:47)- R&B. Syd the Kid, the female lead singer from The Internet is featured on this track. Verses are kind of lost in the mix, but her vocals still sound nice. Beat is on an electropop vibe. Not bad, but not my favorite track from either of these people. Interesting synth work towards the end though.
12. VIVID DREAMS (4:36)- Flows from the last track. Low key instrumental backing in the beginning with mainly just sparse synths. Beefs up a little. River Tiber’s voice sounds nice as always, but not enough of it on this track for my taste. Still a jam though. Especially towards the end.
13. LITE SPOTS (3:50)- Summer Jam alert! Spanish vocals in the background, super sick instrumental. Majorly upbeat. Such a groove. Play me!
14. LEAVE ME ALONE (4:37)- Starts off with some marching drums. Then Shay Lia comes in with some gorgeous female vocals. Slows down a lot in the middle. Interesting samples in the background throughout. One of my favorites. 20 sec skit at the end.
15. BULLETS (4:59)- Pretty upbeat. Little Dragon has some nice vocals over a nice dance beat. Follows the same formula as a lot of the songs on here, but still a decent conclusion to a good album.