|Gray, Christon / Glory Album, The|
|Add Date:||2016-06-13|| ||Pull Date:||2016-08-14|| ||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||14 Aug||17 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun|
Christon Gray/The Glory Album/Fo Yo Soul Entertainment|
Christon Gray is somewhat the newcomer on the music scene (although he was being featured on songs as far back as 2010 or so), but his first release, School of Roses thrust him into the limelight as both a singer and a rapper. With this album, The Glory Album, he again highlights his wit, wordplay, and amazing musical talents to create moods that can enhance your experience no matter what you may be going through in life. Part Neo-Soul, part R&B, part hip-hop, and the remaining parts he shines as a balladeer. Since dropping this album Christon Gray has begun to become a household name appearing on, performing on awards shows (BET) and his song “Stop Me” was featured on Sportscenter, where he also recently performed his freestyle on the Warriors current success in game 1 of the NBA Finals. No FCC. Faves: 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12 & 13. Reviewed by Daniel of LJH.
*1) 2:20 - Slow tempo. Carried heavily by piano, and eventually a heavily muted and modified drum kit.
2) 3:31 - Med tempo. Samples, hard kick drums, pianos and a clap-sounding snare create a real anthemic joint.
3) 3:05 - Slow/Med tempo. Hard bass and kick-lines, marching type snares (truncated), along with a stringed instrument over the chorus create a very contemplative mood with a dash of funk.
**4) 3:31 - Slow tempo. Ballad. Piano and vocals.
5) 6:23 - Med/slow tempo. Classic hip hop beat, kicks snares, and piano. The sound here is similar to Digable Planets back in the very early 90's.
*6) 3:13 - Med tempo. The alarm is being sounded on the music industry with this one. Classic drumkits, with recurring modulated effects that sound like something between a string instrument and digitally created effect. Over the "chorus" section there is what sounds like a either a flute or a xylophone sounds to distinguish between verses.
*7) 4;02 - Slow tempo. Muted piano and drums, which later kick in at full breadth along with jazzy snares. After sounding more like something from the era of Doo Wop it turns jazzy.
8) 4:16 - Slow to med tempo. Heavily modded pianos and bass. The drums seem the only thing more clearly heard in this song.
*9) 3:14 - Med tempo. Pianos, guitar, drums and bass guitar. R&B feel.
*10) 3:49 - Slow tempo. Electric guitar, piano, drums. Ballad feel.
11) 1:54 - Interlude - don't play
**12) 4:04 - Slow/med tempo. Piano, and it's enough for this more neo-soul type song.
**13) 3:26 - Slow tempo. Piano, muted and panned drums and string effects carry another of Christon's ballad-type offerings.