|Pale Dian / Narrow Birth|
|Add Date:||2016-07-11||Pull Date:||2016-09-11|
|Week Ending:||28 Aug||21 Aug||7 Aug||31 Jul||24 Jul||17 Jul|
|1.||Apr 18, 2019:||Being as an ocean |
In a day / pas de deux
|4.||Dec 03, 2016:||Life Aquatic |
|2.||Mar 05, 2017:||Reckless Burning |
|5.||Aug 22, 2016:||Life Aquatic |
|3.||Dec 16, 2016:||Life Aquatic (Best of '16, part 1) |
|6.||Aug 14, 2016:||Life Aquatic |
Glowing, expansive, sometimes gloomy shoegaze with strong ties to post-punk. Another promising set of shoegazers from Texas, and what an amazing first album! One of my favorites of the year.|
RIYL Drinking Flowers, Soft Kill, Drab Majesty, Dais/Sacred Bones, '80s 4AD
Favorites: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8
1. (4:18) Intro—Dazed vocal chant in first minute, post-punk bass line, aqueously shifting and churning guitars.
2. (5:17) **** Evan Evan—Driving, relentless shoegaze distorted through an all-consuming darkwave filter. Chaotic, liberating instrumental finish barely held together by the bass. Incredible!!!
3. (6:23) *** In a Day—Bright soprano vocals layered beneath washes of glowing, meditative noise. All instrumental in last three minutes.
4. (3:14) Pas de Deux—Like a synthier THEESatisfaction.
5. (3:36) *** Lonesome Waste—Bladerunner! Uplifting shoegaze, strong female vox, cute.
6. (3:36) ** Diana—Panoramic, wide-angle shoegaze. Really satisfying crunchy guitars in the last minute and a half.
7. (5:20) ** The Avenue—Dreamy cosmic Living Hour feel, drum machine, steady ascension, just sublime.
8. (3:52) ** Feral Bloom—Dense. Galactic synths and weird outer space vocals. Spectacular, propulsive drumming change at 2:09.
9. (3:50) Judy Garland is Dead—Drum machine, field recordings of hospital sounds, spoken word, suffering.
10. (3:16) Mimi’s Magnolia—Quirky sense of gloom, Southern Ontario Gothic sonified.
|2.||Evan Evan||7.||The Avenue|
|3.||In A Day||8.||Feral Bloom|
|4.||Pas De Deux||9.||Judy Garland Is Dead|
|5.||Lonesome Waste||10.||Mimi's Magnolia|