|Prairie Empire / Salt, The|
|Add Date:||2016-08-08||Pull Date:||2016-10-10|
|Week Ending:||9 Oct||2 Oct||25 Sep||18 Sep||11 Sep||4 Sep||21 Aug||14 Aug|
|1.||Jun 30, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Sep 30, 2016:||Time Traveler |
We Were Reeds, Daniel
|2.||Oct 07, 2016:||Time Traveler |
|5.||Sep 23, 2016:||Time Traveler |
|3.||Oct 02, 2016:||The Prism Experiment |
|6.||Sep 16, 2016:||Time Traveler |
We Were Reeds, Daniel
“The Salt” Prairie Empire|
Brooklyn duo, Prairie Empire, delivers smooth, sophisticated indie rock with a progressive jazzy feeling and occasional folk tendencies. Led by extraordinary vocalist, Brittain Ashford, who also plays guitar and piano and handles the arrangements, Prairie Empire’s “The Salt” is similar to Jenny Gillespie’s excellent “Cure for Dreaming.” Drummer Nim Ben-Reuven is the other half of the duo. The songs are lush, atmospheric and cinematic — with wonderful dynamic ranges. This is Prairie Salt’s sophomore release.
Recommended: 4, 7, 8/9, 3. NO FCCs.
1. (3:34) Like Birds – Twinkling piano. Starts mysterious with strings and synths. Then, becomes bouncy and jazzy.
2. (4:28) Folded, From the Storm – Gently strummed guitar. Vocal starts in a bedroom whisper, and then soars as the music swells.
3. (3:27) Circles – Slow and sad. Lush soundscape with a rich, strummed guitar and Ashford’s smoky vocals. Builds to big drums. ***
4. (4:34) The Salt – Lightly picked guitar. Hesitant. Tentative. Ashford sings, “You are the salt in my blood.” Searing electric guitar at finish. ****
5. (4:05) In Three (for Joe) – Lilting waltz (for Joe apparently). Sweet and searching.
6. (4:48) Stay Good – Piano-based folk-rock. Strong backing vocals in chorus. Reminiscent of Sea of Bees at times. Becomes jazzier with nice clarinet solos.
7. (3:34) Muir Woods – Intimate and passionate love song. Crystalline construction. Piano and woodwinds. Simple drumming. ***
8. (3:34) Daniel – Slow and sultry. Sweeping strings and bigger drums as the song builds. Segues into the final track. **
9. (2:30) We Were Reeds – Brief piano closer. Of course, clarinet (reed instrument) as well! Uplifting and hopeful. Reminiscent of Bowerbirds. ** (Play with track 8!)
|1.||Like Birds||5.||In Three (For Joe)|
|2.||Folded, From The Storm||6.||Stay Good|
|9.||We Were Reeds|