|Perry, Lee "Scratch" / Must Be Free|
|Album:||Must Be Free||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Perry, Lee "Scratch"||Added:||09/2016|
|Add Date:||2016-09-25||Pull Date:||2016-11-27||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||20 Nov||13 Nov||6 Nov||23 Oct||16 Oct||9 Oct||2 Oct|
|1.||Jun 07, 2021:||Best Of Everything |
|4.||Nov 30, 2016:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
House Of Sin
|2.||Jan 10, 2017:||Magnetized Toner: Best Of 2016 Part 3 |
Too Much Is Too Much
|5.||Nov 28, 2016:||Everything A to Z week 69 |
|3.||Dec 06, 2016:||Magnetized Toner |
|6.||Nov 15, 2016:||The Offbeat Generation |
Legendary reggae and dub innovator Lee “Scratch” Perry returns in 2016 with a new album titled Must Be Free. Even at age 80, the prolific Jamaican maverick can’t stop making mind-blowing riddims mixing everything from reggae to spoken word, dubstep to ambient, even acid jazz to trip-hop. Despite sounding overwhelming, as usual, Lee makes things have a natural flow and Must Be Free is one of the most inventive recordings I have heard in a while. The album has collaborations with the Groovematist, IAmPhloboi, and members of the Subatomic Sound System collective. Irie.|
RIYL: Lee “Scratch” Perry!
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10 and 12
1. (6:02) **Psycho Dread – Dub, ambient, spoken word. Floating in space while dreaming of floating. Medium tempo.
2. (6:26) **Rat Race – Perry being Perry. Mid-tempo beat. 21st century dub recording filtered through ambient and found sounds.
3. (4:43) House Of Sin – Another classic Perry trip. Late 1970s inspired dub here. Medium tempo track.
4. (3:53) *Isabel – Medium tempo recording. More classic Perry cosmic energy. Stoner delight.
5. (4:00) **Jungle Tongue – Beatnik spoken word trip with ambient instrumentation and a dub medium tempo. All surrounded by jazz arrangements and more overdubbed vocals toward the end of the track.
6. (4:16) No Evil – Attempt at Flamenco (acoustic guitars) with a Spanish-Latin beat and melody. Trippy.
7. (4:18) *No Sorrow – 1970s funk inspired energy. Medium-up tempo. Dub vocals. Intense.
8. (3:05) On Nigeria – A combination of tribal dubstep, acid jazz and spoken word. Medium tempo. Feels calm somehow.
9. (4:20) Strip Off – Reggae and dub 101 here. Medium tempo.
10. (3:50) **Too Much Is Too Much – Kind of trip-hop beat with signature Perry vocals. Percussions everywhere.
11. (3:24) Therapist – String quarter sample, intense drumming and overdubbed vocals all over the place. Musically dense ode to a therapist. Weird.
12. (5:37) **Must Be Free – Slow piano balladesque intro then a kind of moombahton beat takes over. Perry has reached the 21st century.
13. (4:54) House Of Sin (Remix Version) – It sounds very similar to the original track; it’s just more dubstep and have a sharper drum beat sound.
|1.||Psycho Dread||7.||No Sorrow|
|2.||Rat Race||8.||On Nigeria|
|3.||House Of Sin||9.||Strip Off|
|4.||Isabel||10.||Too Much Is Too Much|
|6.||No Evil||12.||Must Be Free|
|13.||House Of Sin (Remix Version)|