|Cool Ghouls / Animal Races|
|Add Date:||2016-11-16||Pull Date:||2017-01-18|
|Week Ending:||15 Jan||8 Jan||1 Jan||25 Dec||18 Dec||11 Dec||4 Dec||20 Nov|
|1.||Dec 21, 2018:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Jan 21, 2017:||Homeroom |
|2.||Mar 09, 2018:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Jan 14, 2017:||Old Fart at Play |
|3.||Jul 14, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Jan 06, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Psych folk pop band. Local, from San Francisco! Jangly guitars, walking bass, simple vocals. Occasionally you get echoes of Sonic Youth or the Beach Boys or country music. Songs tend to have simple structures--nothing terribly experimental--but some of the songs have the feel of strong singles on a more mainstream album. The album cover is a cartoon of a naked guy and girl playing tennis, which gives you a strong hint as to what kind of band this is. Very 1960’s free love feel.|
No FCCs. Try 1, 3, 4.
1) “Animal Races” (3:54): Walking bass, jangly guitar. Nice chorus: all going to the animal races.
2) “Sundial” (4:15): Slows down a bit. Slower and lacks the punch of the first track. Ends with bah-bah-bahs reminding me of the Beach Boys.
3) “Time Capsule” (5:42): Psychedelic guitars. Long instrumental opening. Reminds me a bit of Sonic Youth.
4) “When You Were Gone” (4:01): Excellent opening. Lays down a steady beat, rich sound.
5) “Days” (2:57): Feels more like folk-pop. Some days leaving, some days coming.
6) “Just Like Me” (3:27): More upbeat. Bah bee bah dee bah. Still a dense sound.
7) “(If I Can’t Be) The Man” (2:54): More pronounced country. Guy talking in more of a country way. Neat key change in the middle.
8) “Brown Bag” (2:43): Kind of a big rocking start. Some distortion on the voice.
9) “Never You Mind” (3:26): Growly, guitars, pretty bright. Typical stuff.
10) “Material Love” (3:19): Simple riff. Will you be my material love.
11) “Spectator” (4:15): A bit more thoughtful-- “I became a spectator.” But still a very similar sound.
-- Mr Tumnus
|1.||Animal Races||6.||Just Like Me|
|3.||Time Capsule||8.||Brown Bag|
|4.||When You Were Gone||9.||Never You Mind|