|Tolchin, Jonah / Thousand Mile Night|
|Album:||Thousand Mile Night||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Yep Roc Records|
|Add Date:||2017-01-24||Pull Date:||2017-03-28|
|Week Ending:||26 Mar||19 Mar||12 Mar||26 Feb||19 Feb||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan|
|1.||Mar 21, 2017:||Music Casserole |
Where The Hell Are All Of My Friends
|4.||Mar 10, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Beauty In The Ugliest Of Days
|2.||Mar 17, 2017:||Road Trip |
Thousand Mile Night
|5.||Feb 25, 2017:||Butter and Jams |
|3.||Mar 17, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Unless You Got Faith, Beauty In The Ugliest Of Days, Thousand Mile Night
|6.||Feb 17, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Thousand Mile Night
“Thousand Mile Night” Jonah Tolchin|
Guitar-driven blues-rock and folk-rock, sometimes veering into alt-country. This is Tolchin’s third album. The tracks were performed live with all of the musicians in the studio at once for each track. It only took four days to record and mix everything — giving the performances great spontaneity. Great guitar work throughout.
Recommended: 2, 1, 7, 8, 9. No FCCs detected.
1. (3:05) Beauty in the Ugliest of Days – Hopeful, rolling spiritual. Strummed acoustic guitar and simple drum beat. Bluesy electric guitar. ***
2. (3:55) Thousand Mile Night – Bouncy honky-tonk blues-rock. Strummed acoustic, lap steel and electric guitars — with just a touch of piano. ****
3. (2:28) I Wonder – Skipping good-time road song with strummed acoustic guitar and upbeat vocals.
4. (5:12) Completely – Pensive and mellow ballad. Hint of banjo in the background with lots of fiddling. ***
5. (3:37) Paint my Love – Mid-tempo love song, with vocals sung in a lower register. Very simple and plain. A bit repetitive.
6. (3:42) Song About Home – Light and lilting tune, set to a bongo beat. Crooning vocals.
7. (3:26) Unless You Got Faith – Energetic, gospel-inspired, organ-driven spiritual. Builds toward the end, with handclaps, for a big finish. ***
8. (3:15) Where the Hell Are All of my Friends – Darker blues-rock with a throwback feeling. Prog-rock electric guitar riffs and funky bass line. ***
9. (2:57) Working Man Blues #22 – Edgy blues-rock with crunchy guitars and a driving beat. ***
10. (3:38) Hard Time Killing Floor Blues – Old-timey, acoustic cover of the Skip James tune. Great guitar work. Very soulful vocals.
|1.||Beauty In The Ugliest Of Days||6.||Song About Home|
|2.||Thousand Mile Night||7.||Unless You Got Faith|
|3.||I Wonder||8.||Where The Hell Are All Of My Friends|
|4.||Completely||9.||Working Man Blues #22|
|5.||Paint My Love||10.||Hard Time Killing Floor Blues|