Hang is the fourth album by the baroque pop duo Foxygen. For Hang, the Southern California band has entirely transformed themselves, from image to sound, to a full mid 1970s pop rock production. This album sounds like a lost Electric Light Orchestra record. No kidding. Catchy tracks, nice arrangements, amazing pop experiment. One of my favorite albums of 2017.
RIYL: The Lemon Twigs, ABBA, Mercury Rev, Electric Light Orchestra and Leon Russell.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7
1. (4:13) **Follow the Leader – E.L.O. full indulgence here – strings, female backing vocals, lots of instruments, dramatic rhythmic changes. Medium tempo.
2. (3:47) ***Avalon – Parts Wings, part ABBA, part Elton John. The Lemon Twigs dropped on this one. Medium-up tempo. Enjoy!
3. (4:31) **Mrs. Adams – Ballad buttered in 1970s AM radio. More ABBAish arrangements. Channeling Leon Russell in the interpretation. Another impressive track.
4. (5:21) ***America – Another over the top ballad that reminds me of Mercury Rev. Great production. Sci-fi jazz bolero. Epic.
5. (2:59) On Lankershim – Less ambitious recording. No less, decent.
6. (1:37) Upon a Hill – Brief and dramatic piano composition. More strings and female backing vocals.
7. (4:46) *Trauma – Standard 1970s orchestral pop meets late 1990s Mercury Rev.
8. (5:10) Rise Up – Leon Russell meets Mercury Rev. Epic and melodramatic. Guitar solo included.