|Todd, Blaine / Golden Apples Of The West|
|Album:||Golden Apples Of The West||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2017-04-05||Pull Date:||2017-06-07|
|Week Ending:||28 May|
|1.||May 27, 2017:||Ode to Year Two |
Until The Geese Return
|2.||May 26, 2017:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Golden Apples Of The West
A longtime bandmate of Andrew Weathers who recently relocated to New York, Blaine Todd shares Andrew’s penchant for country-western music with heavy psychedelic and experimental leanings. Twangy, spaced out, melancholy reflections on preparing to leave California after having spent an entire life here. Enveloping, mystical, beautiful desert music. Highly recommended. RIYL: Sparklehorse, Six Organs of Admittance, Scott Tuma, Terrors, all things Full Spectrum Records. Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 8. No FCCs detected.|
1. *(5:13)—Sunny, dreamy, very reminiscent of Sparklehorse. Fast fingerpicking.
2. *(7:18)—Psychedelic doom-folk dirge. Deep, multilayered vocals. Intense drone finish.
3. *(2:50)—Lo-fi folk with nice, crisp fingerpicking.
4. *(11:47)—Slow, lonely, chiming, bittersweet guitar. Lo-fi vocals. Heartbreaking solo. Long outro of water sounds. Gorgeous.
5. (5:40)—Weirdo desert blues cover of Waylon Jennings’ “Omaha.” Woozy western guitar, very simple drumbeat.
6. (7:14)—Intense, rolling drums. Layers of wordless vocals. Slow, Western guitar takes over the mix.
7. (4:11)—High-pitched feedback drone, slow guitar, multiple tracks of piano. Dissonant, floating.
8. *(5:09)—Instrumental. Resonant, warm slide guitar picking. Occasional synths.
|1.||Golden Apples Of The West||5.||Omaja|
|2.||Until The Geese Return||6.||Like A Pilgrim To A Monolith|
|3.||Death Oughta Be Ashamed In 2016||7.||A Hangdog Man|
|4.||Warm Permanence||8.||Waking Up And Can't Be Touched|