|Hurray For The Riff Raff / Navigator, The|
|Artist:||Hurray For The Riff Raff||Added:||04/2017|
|Add Date:||2017-08-03||Pull Date:||2017-10-05|
|Week Ending:||1 Oct||17 Sep||10 Sep||3 Sep||27 Aug||20 Aug||13 Aug|
|1.||Tue, 14 Jan 20:||Telepathic Juan|
Magnetized Toner: Favorite Songs of the Decade [2010 - 2019] Conclusion
|4.||Wed, 11 Oct 17:||DJ Stace|
|2.||Tue, 16 Jan 18:||Telepathic Juan|
Magnetized Toner: Best of 2017 (Part 3)
|5.||Wed, 27 Sep 17:||DJ Stace|
|3.||Tue, 02 Jan 18:||Telepathic Juan|
Magnetized Toner: Best of 2017 (Part 1)
|6.||Wed, 13 Sep 17:||DJ Stace|
The Navigator is the sixth release by New Orleans based via Bronx, New York native Alynda Segarra, better known as Hurray For The Riff Raff. Conceived as an autobiographical conceptual album growing up in the Bronx, this is a beautiful and very personal album filled with alluring lyrical and musical moments. Better known for their Americana sound, Hurray For The Riff Raff takes a giant musical leap in The Navigator to expand their sonic palette with styles and rhythms as eclectic as electro-pop, classic rock, salsa and musical theatre tradition. The Navigator reminds me of late 1970s Lou Reed and early 1980s eclectic albums that despite the experimentation with disco, gospel, hard rock and other musical styles, the impeccable songwriting and a charismatic singer are what make the songs memorable. One of my favorite albums of 2017. |
RIYL: Lou Reed, Joni Mitchell, Bath For Lashes, Patti Smith and Mirel Wagner.
FCC WARNING: 2, 5, 11
Recommended Tracks: 2 [FCC], 3, 5 [FCC], 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
1. (1:43) Entrance – Field sounds, Broadway, doo-wop. Set the mood.
2. (3:17) ***Living In The City – FCC (Shitty). Killer medium tempo singer-songwriter recording. I love the 1970ss vintage vibe. Lou Reed would be proud.
3. (3:26) ****Hungry Ghost – Another stunning track. Electro-pop a la Bat For Lashes. Haunting and hard to shake off. My favorite track on the album.
4. (2:57) Life To Save – Medium tempo bluegrass piece. Classic Hurray For The Riff Raff sound.
5. (4:00) **Nothing's Gonna Change That Girl – FCC [Ass]. Intimate slow tempo recording. Personal and quite moving.
6. (3:07) ***The Navigator – Exquisite slow paced piece with a vintage Fania records sound. Between the moon and New York City.
7. (2:12) Halfway There – Slow folk recoding.
8. (3:32) **Rican Beach – Medium-up tempo. Rock and tropical sounds a la 1970s. Great guitar solo. Amazing lyrics.
9. (4:14) ***Fourteen Floors – Beautiful ballad here. Another favorite of mine.
10. (2:58) *Settle – Another touching slow tempo recording.
11. (5:53) **Pa'lante – FCC [Fuck it up, fuck]. One of the best political pieces I have heard in years. Direct and moving.
12. (3:22) *Finale – A reprise version of the opening piece. In Spanish. The Fania records energy drives it.
|2.||Living In The City||8.||Rican Beach|
|3.||Hungry Ghost||9.||Fourteen Floors|
|4.||Life To Save||10.||Settle|
|5.||Nothing's Gonna Change That Girl||11.||Pa'lante|