Dystopian psych from the minds of Dave W. and Ego Sensation. Dense, freaky, beating with creative life. A condemnation of the powers that be and a kind of companion piece to the new Gnod record. Takes major inspiration from New York’s Mudd Club in the ’70s and from William S. Burroughs (a Mudd regular) in its approach to minimalist sound deconstruction.
Related: Carlton Melton, The Heads, Gnod, Hills
1. (7:21) Overlord—FCC “motherfucker” at 4:47. Driving krautrock defined by a killer bass groove. Some muffled voices, high-pitched evil vox, and swirling guitars. I love this, save for safe harbor?
2. (5:47) *** A Trick of the Mind—Dense unrelenting wall of sound. Really gorgeous jamming guitars masked in effects. Swinging through the cosmos
3. (4:26) Importance 101—Droning fuzzy guitars, great bass. Strange mumblings and waves of industrial noise.
4. (4:21) ** Attack Mode—Visceral howls, evil guitars with cool wah effect.
5. (6:52) If…1…2—Buzzing analog synth and sweeping faded washes of vox. Experimental, a little bit no wave.
6. (4:49) ** Sugar Hill—Haunting unsettling intro. Mostly bass and some skittering guitar, keys, slowly pounding drums.
7. (4:43) *** Entertainer—Bright synth washes contrast with overall deathly atmosphere and somber vox.
8. (4:28) ** Stop Mute Defeat—Wild synths, weird electronics. Fierce shouts and spacey female vox.