AVISHAI COHEN: Cross My Palm With Silver
POSTMODERN JAZZ – Moody, impressionistic set from the Israeli trumpeter, his second for the ECM label. Pianist Yonathan Avishai sets the tone, laying down a slightly abstracted, heartbreaking ground for Cohen’s sharp-toned, undulating lines while bass & drums wrap it up in billowing clouds. Not a fun disc, but intriguing and often moving.
Fo’s Picks: 1, 4, 5
1. 10:20 – starts w/sparse trumpet & piano; dark ballad from quartet; perks up to a gently rolling groove in a compelling middle section, drops back
2. 5:24 – tragic, free-flowing ballad: trumpet joins late, goes high, surges
3. 3:51 – relaxed trumpet/drums play with repeated riff; bass reasserts it
4. 12:09 – solo piano hops into abstract riffing quartet; tick-tock grooves vs long, expressive trumpet; opens up gradually, solo trumpet ending
5. 6:55 – relaxed jazz stroll: chatty trumpet, piano lays back, enigmatic end