|Beach Fossils / Somersault|
|Add Date:||2017-06-21||Pull Date:||2017-08-23|
|Week Ending:||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul||9 Jul||2 Jul|
|1.||Thu, 26 Dec 19:||DJ Otterpop|
Organic Fruit Tracks
|4.||Tue, 16 Jan 18:||Telepathic Juan|
Magnetized Toner: Best of 2017 (Part 3)
|2.||Sun, 09 Dec 18:||jackie|
Bass Pro Shop
|5.||Sun, 07 Jan 18:||Jon Cousins|
|3.||Thu, 07 Jun 18:||Sam I Am|
|6.||Tue, 17 Oct 17:||Telepathic Juan|
Somersault is the long awaited third full-length release by dream pop guitar crooners Beach Fossils, from Brooklyn, New York. After a four-year break and many personnel changes, the now trio returns with an ambitious album full of orchestral arrangements, effervescent guitar moments, and beautiful melodies from start to finish. I particularly like how they carefully inflected their tracks with effects and sounds straight out of late 20th century Californian psychedelia, 1960s easy listening, and 1970s AM radio yacht rock. Reminiscent of the way that Foxygen and The Lemon Twigs are constructing their songs. Melancholic guitar dreams at the speed of music streaming times. |
RIYL: Real Estate, Wild Nothing, Hoops, Corridor and DIIV.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11
1. (2:48) **This Year – Medium tempo dream pop extravaganza. Great rhythmic guitar playing along with a cello solo and a beautiful vocal melody.
2. (3:14) ***Tangerine – Another dream pop gem here. Think of the late 1990s Elefant records sound. Well crafted.
3. (3:44) *Saint Ivy – Medium tempo track. Melodic, calm, quite orchestral. Timeless. Easy listening made by millennials for millennials.
4. (2:59) *May 1st – The exquisite guitar pop adventures continue. Medium-up tempo.
5. (1:41) Rise – Hip-hop? Ambient R & B? Regrets and memories.
6. (3:24) *Sugar – One more piece of effective dream pop. Here to stay.
7. (3:16) Closer Everywhere – Guitar pop al a classic California psych pop. Vintage.
8. (3:02) *Social Jetlag – Early 1970s Beach Boys meets 2010’s Washed Out. AM radio filters on.
9. (2:38) Down The Line – Medium-up tempo guitar dream pop recording. More timeless moments.
10. (5:01) **Be Nothing – Slow start. Folk pop dreams of trees and trails. Tempo increases halfway through song. Lots of guitars towards the end.
11. (3:11) *That's All For Now – Medium-up tempo. The song Real Estate never wrote. Right ending.
|3.||Saint Ivy||8.||Social Jetlag|
|4.||May 1st||9.||Down The Line|
|11.||That?S All For Now|