|Kuroma / Dark Horse Rides Again, The|
|Album:||Dark Horse Rides Again, The||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2017-06-21||Pull Date:||2017-08-23|
|Week Ending:||20 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul||9 Jul||2 Jul||25 Jun|
|1.||Sat, 19 Aug 17:||Old Fart|
Old Fart at Play
|4.||Thu, 27 Jul 17:||Jon Cousins|
|2.||Thu, 17 Aug 17:||Jon Cousins|
|5.||Tue, 25 Jul 17:||Dj Arid & DJ Bear|
|3.||Thu, 03 Aug 17:||Jon Cousins|
|6.||Thu, 20 Jul 17:||Jon Cousins|
Kuroma // The Dark Horse Rides Again |
Album is defined by reverb-processed vocals, guitar awash in chorus, and an occasional sunny feel. Could be a tighter album if it was a bit shorter. Frontman Hank Sullivant - formerly of The Whigs and touring guitarist for MGMT – has a distinctive croon and some moments of interesting songwriting, especially on the first track. Sounds like if King Tuff took a xanax.
1) A Day with No Disaster** (3:13): Reverbed guitar and guitar chords fill the space, catchy little song with interesting vocal timbre and harmonies.
2) A Curse of Mine (3:57): Staccato chords with arpeggiated vocal FX. Some interesting sounds but overall repetitive and unengaging.
3) Lucky Man (4:16): Wah guitar and a sort of love-sick vibe here.
4) I’m the Kind* (4:07): Finally some distortion! Interesting instrumentation especially in the interludes and outro.
5) Perfect Girl* (4:02): A little cutesy moldy peaches kind of song here – fun track with some strings and fun vocals.
6) Uprising (2:37): Repetitive vocals over some choppy synth chords.
7) I Don’t Know What I Should Do (3:23): Sleepy song with slow chorus-heavy guitar chords
8) In a California Way** (3:10): A bit more upbeat and sunny here – “In a California way, here today, gone tomorrow” – vocals in a sort of King Tuff king of style.
9) The Sun is Too High (3:48): Another beachy feeling here, but not as engaging as track 8.
10) I Want the Kingdom (5:02): Organ chords open the song, joined later by crunchy guitars and the usual reverbed distant vocals. Mix is pleasantly full here. The song drags somewhat.
11) Tennessee Walker (2:30): Bouncy tune with guitar arpeggios and somewhat frantic vox.
12) The Island in Me (5:19): Phased guitars and vocal harmonies straight out of a Pink Floyd song.
|1.||A Day With No Disaster||7.||I Don't Know What I Should Do|
|2.||A Curse Of Mine||8.||In A California Way|
|3.||Lucky Man||9.||The Sun Is Too High|
|4.||I'm The Kind||10.||I Want The Kingdom|
|5.||Perfect Girl||11.||Tennessee Walker|
|6.||Uprising||12.||The Island In Me|