|Alcest / Kodama|
|Add Date:||2017-07-05||Pull Date:||2017-09-05||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||3 Sep||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||23 Jul||16 Jul||9 Jul|
|1.||Nov 02, 2019:||Being as an ocean |
|4.||Aug 12, 2017:||Music Casserole |
|2.||Sep 02, 2017:||Narnia |
|5.||Aug 05, 2017:||Narnia |
|3.||Aug 19, 2017:||Narnia |
|6.||Jul 31, 2017:||deep storage |
From France, Alcest & founding member Neige are the pioneers of a certain black metal/shoegaze hybrid that the music world has termed “blackgaze.” They’re really great, and on this record they go in a more post-rock direction, often trading in black metal blast-beats/screams for pretty atmospheric guitars. The record also takes inspiration from Japanese art and culture and deals with compositional ideas of duality and liminality. A relentlessly moving and beautiful listen—enjoy!|
Related: Amesoeurs, Les Discrets, Botanist, Deafheaven
Favorites: 1, 2, 4, 5
1. (9:07) * Kodama—Grinding guitar opening leads into a melodic guitar journey through both heavy and atmospheric passages.
2. (8:54) * Eclosion—Intense, skyward, post-rock guitars build into total angst. Screaming as well as actual singing. Last 1.5 mins are melancholic solo guitar.
3. (7:20) Je Suis d’ailleurs—Crushing guitars, screams. Really cool jazzy guitar thing at one point. Killer blast-beats to close.
4. (5:12) * Untouched—Gorgeous solo guitar and clarion singing opens. Soaring guitars, percussive breakdown. The drums make this one.
5. (7:48) * Oiseaux de Proie—Frantic arpeggiated guitars and slowly cascading drums. Really outsized and passionate.
6. (3:52) Onyx—Extremely distorted guitar dissolving into an elevated wall of noise.
|2.||Eclosion||5.||Oiseaux De Proie|
|3.||Je Suis D'ailleurs||6.||Onyx|