|O'neil, Tara Jane / O'neil, Tara Jane|
|Album:||O'neil, Tara Jane||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||O'neil, Tara Jane||Added:||Jul 2017|
|Add Date:||2017-07-12||Pull Date:||2017-09-12|
|Week Ending:||Sep 10||Sep 3||Aug 27||Aug 20||Aug 13||Aug 6||Jul 30||Jul 23|
|1.||Sep 07, 2017:||Totally A |
|4.||Aug 24, 2017:||moodswings |
|2.||Sep 02, 2017:||Narnia |
|5.||Aug 24, 2017:||Totally A |
|3.||Aug 31, 2017:||Totally A |
|6.||Aug 19, 2017:||Narnia |
A lush, calm, wonderful singer-songwriter record from an underground legend. Tara Jane O’Neil has had a far-ranging 20+ year career: she’s played math rock (Rodan), spare folk (The Sonora Pine), experimental guitar, and dream pop. This album pulls back the mist from her previous record Where Shine New Lights, and the result is a set of warm, dreamy, hushed folk/alt-country songs, fleshed out with pedal steel, keyboard, and brushed drums. Intimate, luxuriously beautiful, understatedly catchy. Highest recommendation. All tracks are slow unless noted otherwise. No FCCs detected. Favorites: 2, 3, 4, 8, 11 (but all great).|
1. (2:57)—Watery ambient-Western folk with whispered, multitracked vocals. RIYL Grouper.
2. *(4:14)–Idyllic, relaxed folk-pop. Droning steel guitar, brushed drums.
3. *(3:14)—Downcast evening ballad with Southwest inflections, especially the slow horns.
4. *(4:18)—Pleasant, loping, with piano, soft guitar licks, keyboard washes.
5. (2:29)—Ambient Western soundscape transition from the previous song. Upbeat, simple folk-pop.
6. (2:44)—Mid-tempo, approaching pop. Soft, dense acoustic strumming.
7. (1:58)—Mid-tempo, moody. Upright bass, bell-like keyboards.
8. *(4:04)—Psychedelic, slightly jazzy torch song with subtle percussion, frog sounds?
9. (3:17)—Very spare and quiet. Melodic guitar fingerpicking, matching vocals.
10. (2:56)—Woozy electric guitar, very soft drums. Vague ‘60s psychedelic feel.
11. *(3:54)—Quiet guitar strumming. “May you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be free from suffering.”