|Cheer-Accident / Putting Off Death|
|Album:||Putting Off Death||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2017-07-26||Pull Date:||2017-09-27|
|Week Ending:||27 Aug||20 Aug||6 Aug|
|1.||Jul 22, 2021:||Magnetized Toner (rebroadcast from Oct 24, 2017) |
|4.||Dec 19, 2017:||Magnetized Toner |
|2.||Feb 20, 2018:||Magnetized Toner |
|5.||Oct 24, 2017:||Magnetized Toner |
|3.||Jan 09, 2018:||Magnetized Toner: Best of 2017 (Part 2) |
|6.||Aug 26, 2017:||Music Casserole |
Iconoclastic Chicago avant-pop experimentalists Cheer-Accident has just released their 18th album titled Putting Off Death and it doesn’t disappoint – like always. By now in their fourth decade of existence (they formed in 1981), the band, as it has been doing in recent years, continues to craft hybrid songs that explore jazz rock - similar to early Tortoise recordings and inspired by their long-lasting fascination with AM pop radio melodies and classic progressive rock sensibilities. I discovered this band in 1997 listening to college radio back then and I was blown away by how eccentric and unconventional they were. Twenty years later, I’m captivated by how they are still as out there as you can get. Never compromise, always your way. Cheer-Accident forever.|
RIYL: His Name Is Alive, Body/Head, Home, Snickers and Thinking Fellers Union Local 282.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
1. (11:24) ***Language Is – Starts as a Randy Newman wannabe song, ends like a Snickers track. 1970s AM radio pop memories filtered through experimental rock and field recordings. Majestic.
2. (4:13) **Immanence – Piano driven underground pop a la His Name Is Alive. Beautiful vocals.
3. (3:45) Wishful Breathing – Pleasant post-jazz rock piece. Solid instrumentation.
4. (3:40) **Falling World – Avant-pop recording at medium-up tempo. Effective guitar effects. Hypnotic.
5. (3:01) More And Less – Marimba driven prog rock – very early 1970s. With horns and everything.
6. (6:59) *Lifetime Guarantee – More avant-pop filtered through 1970s prog rock. Male/female vocals, long guitar solos and crazy rhythmic changes. Epic.
7. (5:12) *Hymn – Pianos, vocals and a slow beat. 1970s AM radio meets 1990s college radio. Multidimensional pop.
|1.||Language Is||4.||Falling World|
|2.||Immanence||5.||More And Less|
|3.||Wishful Breathing||6.||Lifetime Guarantee|