|Brand New / Science Fiction|
|Label:||Procrastinate! Music Traitors|
|Add Date:||2017-10-22||Pull Date:||2017-12-24|
|Week Ending:||24 Dec||17 Dec||10 Dec||3 Dec||26 Nov||19 Nov||5 Nov||29 Oct|
|1.||Thu, 06 Feb 20:||DJ Aporia|
Being as an ocean
|4.||Fri, 12 Jan 18:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler (Top 39 of 2017)
|2.||Sun, 28 Jul 19:||Nova|
|5.||Sat, 30 Dec 17:||Eme O|
|3.||Sat, 14 Apr 18:||Nova|
|6.||Fri, 29 Dec 17:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
Alternative rock/emo. Band from Long Island, gotten a cult following over the years. Long-awaited first record in eight years and this is the last one. (I believe they’re leaving Brand New to become dads, or something.) Tracks range from mellow alt rock to more distorted punk, guitars and lyrics are beautiful throughout. Album of the year!|
Favorites: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12
1. (6:16) * Lit Me Up—Eerie recording of a psychiatric session, noise for first minute and a half. Slow ambient build, then somber minimalist rock.
2. (3:43) Can’t Get It Out—Pop punk riffs, sardonic vox. Echoes of the Your Favorite Weapon sound.
3. (4:36) *** Waste—Calm, marine. Chiming electric guitar lines, clear vox. Great bridge.
4. (3:16) Could Never Be Heaven—Sparse guitar, vox. Last 30 seconds seem to be a lo-fi recording in spiritual psychology.
5. (5:34) * Same Logic/Teeth—Alternates with calm alternative rock and snarling heavier sections, some funky guitars.
6. (5:01) *** 137—Resigned, doom-inflected alternative rock. Gorgeous melodic guitar build midway with some great unexpected soloing. Lyrics on Nagasaki, seem to be an extended metaphor
7. (5:14) Out of Mana—Screechy wailing guitars, pain. Soaring vocals in middle, more unexpected solos. Abrupt shift at 3:45 to soft field recording, bells, an earnest lo-fi Jesse Lacey playing the piano.
8. (6:52) ** In the Water—Steady rock with a bit of a Calexico/weird country thing. Great solo in bridge. Slow fade, spoken word in last minute and a half.
9. (3:36) ** Desert—Urgent echoed vox, psych folk electric guitars. A lot like Cass McCombs.
10. (3:55) No Control—Riff-driven pop punk, quite emo. Another YFW/Deja throwback
11. (4:52) * 451—Raw epic post-hardcore, would be great live. Last 30 seconds are shakers and muted guitar licks.
12. (8:27) ** Batter Up—Melancholy acoustic ballad. The ultimate “No Seatbelt Song”.
|1.||Lit Me Up||7.||Out Of Mana|
|2.||Can't Get It Out||8.||In The Water|
|4.||Could Never Be Heaven||10.||No Control|