|1 Mile North / Awakened By Decay|
|Album:||Awakened By Decay||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||1 Mile North||Added:||08/2017|
|Add Date:||2017-09-08||Pull Date:||2017-11-10|
|Week Ending:||22 Oct||8 Oct||1 Oct||24 Sep||17 Sep|
|1.||Jul 01, 2018:||Posturing through Metaphysical Collapse |
|4.||Sep 30, 2017:||The Prism Experiment |
|2.||Oct 21, 2017:||Music Casserole |
|5.||Sep 19, 2017:||Waste FM |
|3.||Oct 06, 2017:||Half-Length George |
Beyond Darkness, Broken Corners
|6.||Sep 13, 2017:||Brownian Motion |
First album in 13 years from this ambient/minimal post-rock duo. (I thought they were never going to put something new out.) Generally mellow, pretty, and wistful, with an unsettling underbelly. Lots of great repetitive guitar interplay, minimal percussion if any. If you like Explosions in the Sky but they’re too triumphant for you, and if you like Godspeed but think they’re laying on the doom too thick, you’ll like this. Or even better: if you like Labradford’s moody, abstruse take on rock, you’ll really like this. Favorites: 1, 4, 7. No FCCs.|
1. *(9:33)—Slowly evolving, interlocking guitar lines. Not quite comforting, but calming. Droning synth becomes more prominent, until the end feels like an opening incantation.
2. (7:52)—Slow, sutble, sliding percussion. Dark, soft 80’s synth. Weird dry piano. Vague dub feel.
3. (8:26)—Woozy, ominous synths. More piano, deep guitar drone. Sits somewhere between slowcore and retro horror soundtrack music.
4. *(8:50)—Very slow, hypnotic guitar that reminds me of Talk Talk’s “Taphead.” Haunting spoken word sample from Bukowski overlaid. Standout favorite.
5. (8:00)—Feels like a continuation of the last track—a desolate, focused guitar meditation. Clouds of glitch. The trudging guitar line at the end sounds like the intro to a doom metal track. And it actually goes full dark post-rock for a minute.
6. (8:39)—Slow, distant, soft drums. Vaporous synth. Holds at a quiet crawl, even though there’s something about this that suggests both doom and 80’s soundtracks again.
7. *(16:36)—Watery, deep, repetitive guitar. Sun-damaged slide lead. Western apocalypse drone. Holds at a simmer, even though it threatens to go full metal. Long clip of a speech by Jiddu Krishnamurti about fear.
|2.||Rocky Beaches||5.||To The Many Places I'll Never Go|
|3.||The Black Sea Between Us||6.||Underground Waves|