|Various Artists / Group Effort Vol. 1|
|Album:||Group Effort Vol. 1||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Tex Me Records|
|Add Date:||2017-11-19||Pull Date:||2018-01-21|
|Week Ending:||21 Jan||7 Jan||24 Dec||17 Dec||10 Dec||3 Dec||26 Nov|
|1.||Tue, 11 Jun 19:||Telepathic Juan|
Magnetized Toner: Special performance by Fawns Of Love
|4.||Sat, 27 Jan 18:||Eme O|
|2.||Wed, 07 Feb 18:||DJ Stace|
|5.||Thu, 25 Jan 18:||DJ Genesis|
|3.||Tue, 30 Jan 18:||Telepathic Juan|
|6.||Wed, 24 Jan 18:||Super Chuck|
The Fuzz Deli
What happens when you gather some Oakland/SF bands, provide them with studio time, and ask them to record a cover of an “oldie” they are fond of for a cassette compilation? Group Effort Vol. 1 is a collection of tracks put together by the LMSFN and GROUP community collectives that showcases a range of different styles and sounds of new and not so new underground bands doing covers their way. Overall, the tape is split between some bands respecting the integrity of the song too much and providing just a respectable standard cover while the other half taking interesting risks with their track of choice by changing tempos, adding extra sounds, or playing them in a completely different style. Fun project from one of the most fertile music scenes we have right now in the country despite all odds.|
Something extra from the press release:
This community compilation, put on by LMSFN and GROUP, was recorded at Different Fur Studios in San Francisco during May 2016. Each of the 11 bands were given 4 hours to record on a Tascam 8 track... afterwards the songs were mixed in a couple of hours with minimal additions.
RIYL: The compilation Freedom Of Choice, The Flaming Lips’ With A Little Help From My Fwends, the compilation San Francisco Is Doomed, Sonny Smith’s 100 Records Volume II: I Miss The Jams and the compilation If I Were A Carpenter.
FCC WARNING: 8
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11
1. (4:35) ***Fleetwood Mac by Mall Walk – Fine take on Fleetwood Mac’s classic Dreams. Solid guitar work. Play it.
2. (3:18) **Modern English by Buddies – I Melt With You cover. More punky and louder that the original. Cool take.
3. (4:07) *Smokey Robinson by Toner – Dream pop version of Smokey Robinson’s 1981 song Being With You. Effective.
4. (4:59) ***Tears for Fears by Pardoner – Oi! punk version of Tears For Fears’ Head Over Heels. It rocks!! One of my favorites.
5. (4:33) Sheryl Crow by Dick Stusso – Like Wilco doing a Sheryl Crow cover. For fans only.
6. (4:01) **Morrissey by Never Young – Impressive take on Morrissey’s classic Suedehead. Totally enjoyable. Medium-up tempo.
7. (5:02) *Dido by Jay Som – Cover of Dido’s White Flag. Slow start. Nice guitar work. Dramatic.
8. (4:54) ***Prince by Baus – FCC (Fuck it). Wow! Talk about reinventing a song completely. Baus’ take on Prince’s Let’s Pretend We’re Married is one of the coolest covers I have heard in years. Upbeat, minimal and playful. Do not play outside safe harbor.
9. (4:47) No Doubt by Plush – The bar band that plays covers on Thursdays.
10. (4:41) Coldplay by Crush – This sounds like a high school band playing prom night.
11. (3:58)** Mazzy Star by Owl Paws – Cover of Fade Into You. Slow/fast tempo. Haunting.
|1.||Mall Walk||Fleetwood Mac|
|4.||Pardoner||Tears For Fears|
|5.||Dick Stusso||Sheryl Crow|
|11.||Owl Paws||Mazzy Star|