|Wolfe, Chelsea / Hiss Spun|
|Artist:||Wolfe, Chelsea||Added:||Sep 2017|
|Add Date:||2017-10-12||Pull Date:||2017-12-14||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||Dec 10||Nov 5||Oct 29||Oct 22||Oct 15|
|1.||Sep 30, 2021:||Magnetized Toner (rebroadcast from Jul 22, 2021) |
|4.||Dec 09, 2017:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|2.||Jul 22, 2021:||Magnetized Toner (rebroadcast from Oct 24, 2017) |
|5.||Dec 09, 2017:||Music Casserole |
|3.||Dec 16, 2017:||Music Casserole |
|6.||Dec 06, 2017:||Brownian Motion |
Reviewed by BravoMarco
Cali’s Chelsea Wolfe is back following on from the 2015 release “Abyss” For the main, this is a bassy, distortion laced throbbing stop & start assault, all kept in check by some lively vocals. This has plenty quality to be a college radio indy favourite.
Like: PJ Harvey, Jesus and Mary Chain, All About Eve
Good release: Really liking 4, 9, 11,12
FCC’s. on 12*
1) Spun (5.29) A slow menacing grinding fuzz of an opener – gets manic in the latter stages.
2) 16 Psyche (4.19) A power Indy track to get the arms a swaying at the gigs.
3) Vex (3.02) Lots of metal grungey styles going on here, reminiscent of “Garbage” - the first half of the track in any case.
4) Strain (1.14) Atmospheric tribal beats with a glorious dark industrial underbelly – A real shame its so short as its one of the better tracks (even though it’s an instrumental)
5) The Culling (6.01) Vocals take prominence for the first half & then the measured heavier accompaniment takes over.
6) Particle Flux (4.53) A foot tapper & a head nodder, among the mid tempo fuzziness.
7) Twin Fawn (6.07) The metal ballad with loud parts & louder finale.
8) Offering (2.50) Quick start & mild mannered. Reminds me of a track by the “The Glove” or “Dear Prudence” by Siouxsie
9) Static Hum (4.21) The anthem track – get that zippo ready – or use the phone…Fantastic last minute.
10) Welt (1.55) Nice & gravelly then becomes a soft piano piece. Both enjoyable. Needs a few listens to appreciate the mixture I suppose.
11) Two Spirit (4.14) Stripped back guitar & vocals. Up’s the tempo late on. Lovely.
12) *Scrape (Dirty) (3.04) Big post punk sound & voice to wrap things up. Have to listen hard but she throws one or two cheeky fucks in during this classy track.
|5.||The Culling||11.||Two Spirit|