Cool, groovy, surf rock / garage rock / etc. Like a high school garage band in your neighborhood that’s actually good! Guitar, percussion, the usual. Mellow music that’s an easy listen, songs about the girls that got away, drinking forties on the beach, etc. Northern California band. Personally I feel this band is a lot stronger musically than lyrically, but the music is fun enough to listen to that the lyrics are passable.
Review by amy cummings
RIYL: Mac DeMarco, Albert Hammond Jr., Alvvays, Young the Giant
1. Intro (00:37): Cool little instrumental intro that leads into track 2.
2. *Raindrop (03:33): Got some pedal going on in this one. A little less beachy, a little more rock maybe.
3. Gold Years (03:51): Fun instrumentation in this one. Nostalgic song about growing up and not being young anymore (are they not still young???) Catchy little chorus.
4. **Lonely Times (02:46) This song’s guitar line literally sounds like it was ripped off the opening of Albert Hammond Jr’s “Bright Young Thing.” Not that I’m opposed, it’s pretty much the best song on the album...but just saying… lyrics about ~college days~ and moving to a new place
5. How I Feel Now (04:36): He’s too busy to take “his girl” out on the date she deserves. But it’s okay, they’re still in love!
6. Make It Right (02:58): Stick to your dreams no matter what. Don’t let the naysayers get you down! That’s the message of this song, pretty much.
7. *San Francisco Dating Life (03:32): A funny song about how nobody wants to date you in SF and it’s hard to find the ~one~.
8. She’s Gotta Go (02:21): The girl gets away in this one :/ It’s not clear whose fault it is though. It kinda seems like she didn’t do anything wrong. You decide!
9. So Many People (03:43): Okay, now he’s in love again. And this girl is def the one. He repeatedly sings “I only wanna be with you.”
10. Bye Bye Baby (03:21): Lyric excerpt: “I said Bye Bye Baby, I really thought you were the one / But the way you shot me down felt like you shot me with a gun / So Bye Bye Baby”
11. Shotgun (02:57) No, this girl might actually be the one! She rides shotgun in his car while he drives around town.
12. Blue (04:16) This one sounds a little ~spooky~ at the beginning, which is an interesting twist, then it returns to a more typical sound for the album. It’s about going out on the town! ~~forget ur troubles~~