|Ought / Room Inside The World|
|Album:||Room Inside The World||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2018-02-23||Pull Date:||2018-04-27|
|Week Ending:||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar|
|1.||Sat, 28 Apr 18:||Hervey Okkles|
Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles
|4.||Wed, 18 Apr 18:||DJ Stace|
|2.||Mon, 23 Apr 18:||Jon Cousins|
|5.||Sat, 14 Apr 18:||Nova|
|3.||Sat, 21 Apr 18:||Eme O|
|6.||Thu, 12 Apr 18:||Old Fart|
Old Fart at Play
Room Inside the World is the third release by the Canadian band Ought. The politics, the love lamentations, the 21st century post-punk revival beats and riffs are all here again, only this time with a more contemplative attitude driven by the voice of singer/guitarist Tim Darcy, who attempts to channel Jonathan Meiburg’s (Shearwater) vocal range with inspired results. By this third release, the band reminds me more and more of The Boomtown Rats, especially the emotional display and the melodic structures.|
RIYL: The Boomtown Rats, Iceage, Preoccupations, Interpol and Shearwater.
Recommended Tracks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9
1. (3:40) Into the Sea – Think of a more updated U2’s War period energy here. Medium-up tempo.
2. (4:22) ***Disgraced in America – The highpoint political track on the album. Medium-up tempo. Catchy melody. Notable.
3. (4:35) ***Disaffectation – Another strong medium-up tempo composition. Big fan of the vocals here. Post punk rhythms forever.
4. (3:46) **These 3 Things – Solid instrumentation highlights this heavy loaded melodic track with opening ambient textures and fine guitar work throughout.
5. (5:19) ***Desire – Slow synth intro. Vocal-driven track. Builds ups slowly. Dramatic and intense. My second favorite track on the album.
6. (4:33) Brief Shield – Slow tempo ballad. Theatrical.
7. (5:10) **Take Everything – Medium/medium-up tempo. Another tracks that builds up intensity very slowly. The music becomes really upbeat and loud but the vocals stay quite calm and almost hidden in the mix. Intrigued how this will sound live.
8. (4:39) Pieces Wasted – Medium tempo piece. Political psych rock ballad. Trippy ending.
9. (4:00) **Alice – Another slow track with very interesting instrumentation. Existential. Introspective. Impressed.
|1.||Into The Sea||5.||Desire|
|2.||Disgraced In America||6.||Brief Shield|
|4.||These 3 Things||8.||Pieces Wasted|