|Thorn, Tracey / Record|
|Add Date:||2018-03-12||Pull Date:||2018-05-14||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar|
|1.||Aug 06, 2021:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants (rebroadcast from May 2, 2018) |
|4.||Aug 02, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|2.||Aug 01, 2021:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants (rebroadcast from May 2, 2018) |
|5.||May 24, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||May 01, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Mar 08, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Record is only the fifth album by British singer-songwriter Tracey Thorn in a 40-year career that spans first gaining recognition with her mythical underground band Marine Girls in the early1980s and continuing with her most successful act, Everything But The Girl, up to the beginning of the new century. With Record, Thorn returns to the vibe and electronic pop sounds of the last two Everything But The Girl albums, Walking Wounded (1996) and Temperamental (1999), delivering upbeat songs with stylish instrumentation that emphasize Thorn’s passionate vocals.|
Something else said about the record (Thorn's own words):
In a statement, Thorn joked that Record is made up of "nine feminist bangers," adding more seriously, "I think I've always written songs which chronicle the milestones of a woman's life. Different ages and stages, different realities not often discussed in pop lyrics. … Record represents that sense of liberation that comes in the aftermath, from embarking on a whole new 'no fucks given' phase of life." Source: Exclaim!
RIYL: Everything But The Girl, Grimes, Goldfrapp, Eurythmics, and Pixx.
FCC WARNING: 5
Recommended Tracks: 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9
1. (4:17) ** Queen – Upbeat track. You can dance now.
2. (3:03) Air [feat. Shura] – Medium-up tempo. Tasteful electro pop a la Grimes.
3. (2:33) Guitar – Another fast tempo electronic piece. This one reminds me of Erasure’s The Innocents LP period.
4. (4:11) *Smoke – Slow recording. Electro pop ballad. Alison Moyet meets Eurythmics.
5. (8:32) ** Sister [feat. Corinne Bailey Rae] – FCC [Shit]. Catchy medium-up tempo track. Great melody and powerful lyrics. Do not play outside safe harbor.
6. (4:01) * Go – Another slow recording. Nice instrumentation. Fond of the minimal sounds, especially the weird dazzling beat.
7. (2:34) Babies – Medium-up tempo track. Personal and even danceable.
8. (3:41) ** Face – One last slow track here. Dramatic and intimate. Nice instrumentation.
9. (2:57) ** Dancefloor – Upbeat tempo recording with catchy synths. Eurythmics forever.