|Sloan / Sloan 12|
|Label:||Yep Roc Records|
|Add Date:||2018-04-29||Pull Date:||2018-07-01|
|Week Ending:||1 Jul||24 Jun||17 Jun||10 Jun||3 Jun||27 May||20 May||13 May|
|1.||Sat, 30 Jun 18:||Mr. Bones|
Hangin in the bone yard
|4.||Wed, 20 Jun 18:||DJ Postnatal|
I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants
|2.||Fri, 29 Jun 18:||Jon Cousins|
|5.||Sun, 17 Jun 18:||Jon Cousins|
|3.||Fri, 22 Jun 18:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Fri, 15 Jun 18:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
“Sloan 12” Sloan|
12th album from the Canadian power-pop band, Sloan. Solid album that includes 3 songs written by each of the four long-time members of the band. Music ranges from big, guitar-driven anthems to 1970s-style prog pop and even folk-pop-rock that’s reminiscent of the Byrds or Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (CSN&Y). There’s a lot to like here with a fit for a variety of shows featuring any type of rock. RIYL: Guided by Voices, Buffalo Tom, Teenage Fanclub, the Byrds, or other 90s or 70s rockers.
Recommended: 1, 6, 5, 3, 10, 7, 12, 4. No FCCs noted.
1. (3:39) Spin Our Wheels — Searing guitars, driving drums, and big ‘classic rock’ backing vocals contribute to an up-tempo, anthemic, power pop opener. ****
2. (2:52) All Of The Voices Another straight-ahead 90s-sounding guitar rocker.
3. (2:45) Right To Roam — Hooky prop pop like out of the 1970s. Nice harmonies in the choruses. Handclaps near the end. ***
4. (3:28) Gone For Good — Byrds or Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-sounding folk-rock. Rich harmonies. **
5. (3:15) The Day Will Be Mine — First single. Crunchy guitar rocker with a soaring lead vocal and nice guitar solo. ***
6. (4:06) Essential Services — Piano-based pop with sweet harmonies and a catchy, skipping melody. Harmonies sound like the Beatles. ***
7. (3:34) Don’t Stop (If It Feels Good Do It) — Plinking barroom-style piano highlights another prog-pop tune spun in a 1970s style. ***
8. (3:37 Year Zero — Up-tempo rocker with a nice blend of guitar riffs and a busy bass line.
9. (3:19) Have Faith — Harder rocker with shimmering reverb on the guitars.
10. (2:40) The Lion’s Share — Melodic and catchy pop-rock with a lighter, breezy feeling — like a pop tune from the 70s that broke away from the tried-and-true formulas. ***
11. (3:38) Wish Upon A Satellite — Deliberate, pulsing rocker with roaring guitars.
12. (3:51) 44 Teenagers — Pensive rock tune that starts like the harmony-rich folk-rock of the 60s and then shifts to a heavier sound in the middle. Lyrics reference death of Tragically Hip’s Gord Downie from brain cancer. **
|1.||Spin Our Wheels||7.||Don't Stop (If It Feels Good Do It)|
|2.||All Of The Voices||8.||Year Zero|
|3.||Right To Roam||9.||Have Faith|
|4.||Gone For Good||10.||The Lion's Share|
|5.||The Day Will Be Mine||11.||Wish Upon A Satellite|
|6.||Essential Services||12.||44 Teenagers|