Floating Features is the third album by the eternally touring Los Angeles surf psych quartet La Luz, one of the best live bands around these days. Produced by Dan Auerbach, Floating Features delivers a hypnotic chill-intoxicating trip soaked in pure timeless California psychedelia. This is La Luz’s most melodic and inspired record to date. Their exquisite trademarks - haunting melodies, great vocal and chorus exchanges, and impressive instrumentation – make this their more outstanding set of songs to date. Instant classic. One of the best of 2018.
RIYL: The Shangri-Las, Peach Kelli Pop, Summer Twins, The 18.104.22.168's and Shannon & The Clams.
1. (2:14) **Floating Features – Medium/Medium-up tempo. Instrumental. Spaghetti Western SDTK inspired piece. 1970s forever.
2. (3:12) ***Cicada – Medium-up tempo. La Luz sound at full splendor. Surf up.
3. (2:48) **Loose Teeth – Medium-up tempo. Waves and surfboards up and down the sunny shore. In full colors. California all the way.
4. (3:35) **Mean Dream – Exquisite ballad – medium tempo. Shana and The Luzers a la 1960s girl pop.
5. (3:21) ****California Finally – Wow!! Instant classic. Surf meets psychedelia meets California garage rock. Medium-up tempo. Impeccable.
6. (3:29) *The Creature – Medium tempo mellow recording. Has a 1960s pop feeling. Tasteful instrumentation.
7. (4:14) ***My Golden One – Slow piece enhanced with exotica sounds. Dreamy vocals and chorus. Hypnotic pop.
8. (3:15) *Lonely Dozer – Medium-up tempo surf/garage track. The Ventures meet The Shangri-Las. Solid instrumentation.
9. (4:20) *Greed Machine – Medium tempo recording. La Luz being La Luz.
10. (2:46) ***Walking Into the Sun – Another gem here – Surf ballad. Influenced by 1960s Southern California oldies. Beautiful melody and music arrangements. Killer.
11. (2:35) **Don't Leave Me On the Earth – Medium-up tempo track. Another Luz’s impressive upbeat tune, just perfect.