“Rebound” Eleanor Friedberger
Synth-pop-rock interlaced with Friedberger’s accomplished guitar work. Her 4th solo album and first since 2016’s New View. The ten-song set was inspired by a trip to Greece, which included a visit there to a club called Rebound, which plays 80s goth disco. Friedberger’s lyrics are thoughtful, personally revealing and often tinged with sadness. Her music veers toward warm, quirky and sometimes off-kilter electro-pop with programmed drums and synths — attractively showcasing her compelling storytelling. Based on the reviews I saw, this is considered Friedberger’s best effort since she and her brother dissolved The Fiery Furnaces. I agree.
Recommended: 5, 3, 4, 1, 8. No FCCs detected.
1. (3:46) My Jesus Phase — Pulsing rhythm with simple beat. Ominous, swirling synths. Shifts into something more sultry and guitar-driven partway through. *** Segues directly into Track 2 — will be tough to segue.
2. (3:49) The Letter — Mid-tempo. Mix of mesmerizingly smooth synths with edgy guitar blasts at several points. Sing-songy vocals.
3. (3:51) Everything — Galloping beat. High energy. Smooth flowing synth chords underscored by a busy bass line. About trying to have everything. ***
4. (3:30) In Between Stars — Laid-back, swaying hooky melody. Strong backbeat. One of the singles — but can get a bit repetitive. ***
5. (5:32) Make Me A Song — Syncopated, snappy synth-pop. Bouncy and fun. Synth, bass, piano, and guitar. Great lyrics. Excellent tune! ****
6. (4:51) Nice To Be Nowhere — Slow tempo with sustained synth chords and deliberate beat. Melancholy ballad. Lead guitar solo near trail-out.
7. (3:36) It’s Hard — Off-kilter synth beat with guitar noodling and thumping bass line. Easy-going, swingy melody.
8. (3:53) Are We Good? — Synth arpeggios, accented with guitar stingers. Captivating, revealing lyrics, spoken more than sung at times. Handclaps. ***
9. (2:56) Showy Early Spring — Synth-pop that veers toward chamber pop. Big chords. Thumping beat. Simple melody.
10. (4:27) Rule of Action — Skipping beat in 3/4 time. Lush synths mixed with chimey high tones. Vocals doubled in low and high registers.