|Toubab Krewe / Stylo|
|Label:||Mason Jar Music|
|Add Date:||2018-06-13||Pull Date:||2018-08-15||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||12 Aug||5 Aug||29 Jul||22 Jul||15 Jul||8 Jul||1 Jul||24 Jun|
|1.||Sat, 01 Sep 18:||DJ McGriddle & Kray Bae Bae|
The Road Trip
|4.||Thu, 02 Aug 18:||DJ Postnatal|
I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants
|2.||Sat, 11 Aug 18:||Mr. Bones|
Hanging in the bone yard
|5.||Fri, 27 Jul 18:||Old Fart|
Old Fart at Play
|3.||Fri, 03 Aug 18:||Jon Cousins|
|6.||Wed, 25 Jul 18:||Mytree|
AFRO-JAMMY INSTRUMENTAL PSYCH-ROCK group from Asheville delivers their first record in a while, long due for a world with nothing else like it. For those not acquainted with Toubab ("Foreigners") Krewe (traditional Afro-Creole music troupe), these talented Western jam veterans brought musical instruments back home from Mali and stuck pickups in them. Stylo does not disappoint, laden with dynamic, cheerful grooves and echoing, tangy licks. RIYL Tinariwen, being happy, dancing. |
1. (4:03) **** Upbeat but easy. This danceable groove would be good to paint to. Know what I mean?
2. (3:40) ***** This unreal bass line will hook you. I could pump some heavy iron to this. Gets big n rocky.
3. (3:19) *** Sweet, dreamy, somewhat surfy vibe heavy on the low frequencies.
4. (5:27) ** Trippy, spacey with a Slightly Stoopid-esque breakdown towards the end.
5. (5:19) **** Soulful, easy groove. Picks up just before the end.
6. (3:05) **** Upbeat, rocky, loud, with a punching electric guitar solo stopping clean short of a clean African breakdown.
7. (4:36) ***** Malian (I hear Arabic?) vocals. Great, simple, groovy bass line.
8. (5:45) **** Eerie intro leads into downbeat, dark, and gorgeous theme for a galactic traveler.
|1.||That Damn Squash||5.||Salut|
|4.||Saba Meniya||8.||Southern Tracks|