|Young, Neil / Roxy: Tonight's The Night Live|
|Add Date:||2019-04-02|| ||Pull Date:||2019-06-04|| |
|Week Ending:||14 Apr||7 Apr|
Remastered version of Neil Young's live recordings he made in 1973 at the Roxy Theater on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles. To celebrate the club 's opening, Neil Young with his backing band The Santa Monica Flyers played 3 shows featuring his newly recorded album "Tonight's the Night." From Rolling Stone: "The record chronicles the post-hippie, post-Vietnam demise of counterculture idealism, and a generation's long, slow trickle down the drain through drugs, violence, and twisted sexuality. This is Young's only conceptually cohesive record, and it's a great one."
RIYL: Bob Dylan, CSNY, Roy Orbison, Nils Lofgren
Favorite tracks: 2, 5, 7, 11, 13, 16, 17
1) Intro (0:51)
2) **Tonight's the Night (6:48 ) Opens with applause, starts with lead guitar and Neil Young vocal with backup singers, thumping bass drum. Shredding vocals in lower range (for Neil Young). Gets into a groove. Rocks toward end. Ends with harmonies and bass drum.
3) Roll out the Barrel (0:52) Short, snippet with circus sound and harmonica
4) Mellow on My Mind (3:11) Dark and angry
5) **World on a String (2:43 ) Great riff, country-ish, guitar pickin in middle, great vocals from Neil.
6) Band Intro (1:23)
7) **Speakin' Out (6:37 ) medium tempo blues, dreamy slide guitar, awesome lead guitar and keyboard solos by Nils Lofgren.
8) Candy bar rap (commentary) (:31)
9) Albuquerque (3:51): Harmonica. Slow tempo, Cowgirl in the Sand-ish. Wrote song on the road about driving through New Mexico and finding somewhere where he can be alone and nobody knows who he is.
10) Perry Como Rap (commentary) (0:17)
11) *New Mama ( 2:39) CSNY-ish 4-part harmony. Sounds a bit like Old Man/ Find the Cost of Freedom; Slow song with sparse instrumentation--guitar, piano, and vibes
12) David Geffen rap (commentary)(0:35)
13) *Roll Another Number for the Road (4:40 ) Country twang, slow tempo
14) Candy Bar 2 rap (commentary) (0:28)
15) Tired Eyes (7:02 ) Sad song, slow tempo, pretty guitar. Talking vocals, Starts out quiet, builds toward the end.
16) **Tonight's the Night Pt. 2 (6:38). Reprieve of first track. Rocker with funky guitar leads, screamin vocals, keyboards, and persistent drum beat.
17) ***Walk On (encore) (3:38): Solid rocker; classic Neil Young. Catchy melody and great hook. A bit of a country twang but more rock.
18) Outro (0:31)