|Marr, Johnny / Call The Comet|
|Album:||Call The Comet||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Warner Bros. Records|
|Add Date:||2018-09-30||Pull Date:||2018-12-02|
|Week Ending:||18 Nov||11 Nov||7 Oct|
|1.||Tue, 13 Nov 18:||Telepathic Juan|
|3.||Mon, 05 Nov 18:||amy cummings|
|2.||Fri, 09 Nov 18:||Jon Cousins|
|4.||Fri, 05 Oct 18:||Old Fart|
Old Fart at Play
Call the Comet / Marr, Johnny Label: Warner Bros|
Reviewed by: DJ Stace
Alumnus of The Smiths, Pretenders, TheThe, Modest Mouse and more delivers a solo album that sounds (surprise surprise!) like a solo album from the guitarist from The Smiths, Pretenders, TheThe and Modest Mouse. Unremarkable, over-produced and drives home the fact that Johnny Marr is a great session guitarist/sideman, but works better with others in the driver's seat. Full of great CNN soundbed.
FCCs: None detected
RIYL: The Smiths, Pretenders, The The, The Church
Play: 11, 12
1. "Rise" 5:04 - Up tempo, anthemic, sounds a bit on the Sisters of Mercy side.
2. "The Tracers" 4:35 - uptempo, driving rhythm with Love & Rockets-style "woo-woo" throughout.
3. "Hey Angel" 5:37 - mid-tempo, but with a hard beat. Soaring generic lead guitar work.
4. "Hi Hello" 4:23 - Mid-tempo, over-produced, jangle-guitar, Smiths-style tune. You can almost hear Morrisey baritone singing it. Smith's fans might dig this one, so do a double-shot with something good.
5. "New Dominions" 4:24 - Channel shifting electro-beat at the beginning gives way to Kraut-ish snoozer.
6. "Day In Day Out" 4:43 - Another mid-tempo acoustic guitar jangle pop tune. Sounds vaguely like The Church.
7. "Walk Into the Sea" 6:02 - Starts off with some echo heavy piano, leading to strings, leading to repetitive solo guitar riff, leading to muted highhat, leading to breathy, smokey vocals. Finally kicks in all shoe-gazey at about 2:20. Epic-ish.
8. "Bug" 4:40 - Mid-tempo Echo & the Bunnymenesque yawner. Maybe about pandemics?
9. "Actor Attractor" 5:37 - Mid-tempo fuzzy, krauty, breathy. You want it to kick in, but it just plods on the same way for 5:36
10. "Spiral Cities" 4:08 - Mid-tempo Psychedelic Furs-ish melody. More breathy adolescent lyrics.
11. **"My Eternal" 3:17 - up-tempo candidate for the "Breakfast Club" remake. Very 80's. some will like it for that.
12. **"A Different Gun" 5:26 - Starts all light and airy, quickly giving way to a mid-tempo Smiths-style closer.
|1.||Rise||7.||Walk Into The Sea|
|3.||Hey Angel||9.||Actor Attractor|
|4.||Hi Hello||10.||Spiral Cities|
|5.||New Dominions||11.||My Eternal|
|6.||Day In Day Out||12.||A Different Gun|